Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Northern Taurid Meteor Shower

Thanks

Default Northern Taurid Meteor Shower

It's a minor shower, around 5 meteors per hour (average), but they known to produce nice bright, slow fireballs...great for photography.

Could also be good practice for the Leonids on November 17th.

copied from International Meteor Organization's website...

"Northern Taurids (NTA)

Active: September 25-November 25
    Maximum: November 12 (λo = 230?)
    ZHR = 5
    Radiant: α = 58? δ = +22?
    Radiant drift: see Table 6
    v∞ = 29 km/s; r = 2.3
    TFC: as Southern Taurids

These two streams form part of the complex associated with Comet 2P/Encke. Defining their radiants is best achieved by careful visual or telescopic plotting, or imaging recordings, since they are large and diffuse. For shower association, each radiant should be considered an oval area of ~ 20? x 10? right ascension times declination, centred on the radiant position for any given date. Their activity clearly dominates the Antihelion Source area's during the northern autumn, so much so that the ANT is considered inactive while they are present. The brightness and relative slowness of many shower meteors makes them ideal targets for still-imaging, while these factors coupled with low, steady, combined Taurid rates makes them excellent subjects for newcomers to practice their plotting techniques on. The activity of both showers produces an apparently plateau-like maximum for about ten days in early November, and they have a reputation for producing some excellently bright fireballs at times, although seemingly not in every year. As remarked earlier in the April to June quarterly notes, David Asher's studies have indicated that increased Taurid fireball rates probably result from a 'swarm' of larger particles within the Taurid stream complex, which in 2005 most recently produced a lot of, occasionally very brilliant, fireballs, and enhanced combined ZHRs of ~ 10-15 that persisted from about October 29 to November 10. The anticipated 2008 'swarm' return was still to come when this Calendar was in preparation, but no prediction for a repeat was in-force for 2009, perhaps just as well, with full Moon dominating the late October to early November core period (including the STA maximum) this time. The NTA peak has only a waning crescent Moon, however. With near-ecliptic radiants, all meteoricists can observe these streams, albeit northern hemisphere observers are somewhat better-placed, as here suitable radiant zenith distances persist for much of the night, though from the southern hemisphere, a good 3-5 hours' watching around local midnight is possible with Taurus well above the horizon"

So, basically, the moon's out of the way now, and we have nice clear skies tonight and tomorrow night(actual peak night).
    nature photography of the White Mountains
    by Patrick LaFreniere
    new site: www.pbase.com/myworld

Thanks

Thanks for pointing this out Patrick. Hopefully the skies in southern NE will clear and we'll get a chance at a view...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up Patrick. Wish I could be in Asia this year to see the Leonids
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

great website for fans of the night sky...

http://www.spaceweather.com/
    nature photography of the White Mountains
    by Patrick LaFreniere
    new site: www.pbase.com/myworld

Thanks

That is a great website. I always like watching the Near-Earth Asteriod section. It's amazing how close they come to our planet.
    Bob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by forestgnome View Post
    great website for fans of the night sky...

http://www.spaceweather.com/
    Wow - just great stuff here! Followed the link to the November Northern Lights Gallery and was just blown away! I think I want to move to Norway. Check out Tom Roland's galleries in particular: http://northernlights-photo.com/bildegalleri.html
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

That is a great website. I always like watching the Near-Earth Asteriod section. It's amazing how close they come to our planet.
    Did you hear about the one on November 6th that missed us by 8700 miles? It was only 23 feet wide, but could you imagine getting hit with something the size of a boat at about a bazillion miles per hour? That would ruin your day.

Near miss news story

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrison518 View Post
    Did you hear about the one on November 6th that missed us by 8700 miles? It was only 23 feet wide, but could you imagine getting hit with something the size of a boat at about a bazillion miles per hour? That would ruin your day.

Near miss news story
    No, I didn't here about that one. I did hear about the one that blew up over Indonesia though. There are many close calls that most people never hear about. I'm a firm supporter of developing the technology to more accurately track and deflect the larger ones. It's highly debated on whether to spend the money or not, but it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when a Dino killer sized one hits Earth again. Now that would ruin everyone's day. If I'm alive when that happens, I just hope I'm at the site of impact instead of living through the aftermath.
    Bob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Miser View Post
    No, I didn't here about that one. I did hear about the one that blew up over Indonesia though. There are many close calls that most people never hear about. I'm a firm supporter of developing the technology to more accurately track and deflect the larger ones. It's highly debated on whether to spend the money or not, but it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when a Dino killer sized one hits Earth again. Now that would ruin everyone's day. If I'm alive when that happens, I just hope I'm at the site of impact instead of living through the aftermath.
    I hope I'm wherever you are Bob and we can all go together.

Anna

Thanks

well all you people up north of us in PA you will have to take a lot of pictures for us because we have an over cast sky tonight and tomorrow
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for