Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Everest Beyond The Limit Season 3!!!

Thanks

My DVR went belly up on me and I've missed them so far. I'll have to watch them the old fashioned way.. in real time.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Season 3 has a new format, where each episode follows one or two pairs of climbers from start to summit (or failure to summit). Each episode is self-contained in that the viewer doesn't have to rely on information found in a previous episode, which the viewer may or may not have missed.

In seasons 1 and 2, each episode focused on a certain stage of the climb with footage of many climbers mostly within that stage. Viewers got to see the characters progress and develop from one episode to the next. These episodes often ended with a minor cliffhanger with the viewer excited and wanting to see more.

I'm not yet quite sure which format I prefer...

Thanks

I'm not sure why I got the information I did directly from Discovery only to stumble upon it last night. They told me the show would premier January 6th in their email to me. I am a little upset about the mis-information coming directly from Discovery. Anyways, I watched the first episodes last night and fell asleep during the second episode of season 3. I'm not sure I like the new format this year. It seems a little slow and there is nothing to look forward to on the next episode. Although allot sure has already happened in the first two episodes! I guess I will have to continue watching to see if I truly like the new format. Don't get me wrong its still interesting, just doesn't seem as compelling.

As far as the season this was filmed, it was 2009. The mountain was closed down in 2008 by the Chinese government so that they could carry the Olympic torch to the summit and did not want any problems especially from protesters.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by njhiker View Post

As far as the season this was filmed, it was 2009. The mountain was closed down in 2008 by the Chinese government so that they could carry the Olympic torch to the summit and did not want any problems especially from protesters.
    Okay, this all makes sense now.

The south side was open (although limited) in 2008.

So far, everything in Season 3 has been from the south side. Even Russell Brice is working there now. I see from his website they are not able to get guaranteed access to Tibet. In reality, I think he would be whisked off to jail if he stepped foot in China.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Not a fan of the new format, but that could be because I was falling asleep. I'll have a better review after Wed.

Thanks

I'm watching Everest now, and the new format is starting to grow on me. I am curious though....I had always thought Brice had a decent reputation with the Chinese government. I have been looking into rumors about him not being welcome there. I cannot find anything, although from what it looks like after visiting a few other expedition guides websites not affiliated with Brice, it looks like China has closed down the North Side indefinately to everyone. Just about everyone is saying they can no longer get passes from the government.

I believe it has to do with the Tibetans and the Dali Lama...I know that they originally closed the North side so that they could carry the torch to the summit for the Olympics, but that was also a time when the government was searching for the Dali Lama and when some Chinese soliers shot and killed some Tibetans, some of whom were Sherpas.

If anyone has any information let me know, I am really interested....Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by njhiker View Post
    If anyone has any information let me know, I am really interested....Thanks!
    From what I understand Tibet is generally closed to all foreigners right now. Maybe I am wrong and maybe it is just the Tibetan routes on Everest. Regardless, nobody is climbing there.

I also thought that it was Brice and The Discovery Channel that witnessed and filmed the Tibetans being shot as they tried to cross into Nepal. If I'm wrong about that than Brice probably has no problems with the Chinese.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

I believe there was an incident where a climber with Brice's expedition had emailed (from the Tibet side) back to the free world about the shooting of a Buddhist nun by Chinese soldiers during the 2006 season. This put Brice's standing with the govt in jeopardy. (Note, this is also the very controversial season with the death of David Sharp, that Brice was caught up in.)

The incident was also filed my climbers that witnessed the shooting. I can't remember if they were climbers with Brice or not.

According to wiki, Brice showed no compassion in regard to the shooting and even treated the soldiers for snow blindness.

A movie has been made about the incident. I haven't seen it yet, but info is at Tibet: Murder in the Snow.

From wiki: In the video "Murder in the Snow" (at time 43:10) related to the shootings, Luis recounts the tale about Brice's reaction for the killings being reported.

Russell : Are you %$##$% crazy? Do you realize what you have %$#%%$ done? You %$%#%$ crazy!

Luis : (I didn't know what to say (to russell). I was floored) Do you think its right to .... ?

Russell: (Just walks out of the camp)

Some months later, Russell Brice lodged a complaint about the shootings with the Chinese Mountaineering Association.
    I believe it has to do with the Tibetans and the Dali Lama...I know that they originally closed the North side so that they could carry the torch to the summit for the Olympics, but that was also a time when the government was searching for the Dali Lama and when some Chinese soliers shot and killed some Tibetans, some of whom were Sherpas.
    I'm not really sure where this info stems from. I follow the new of His Holiness pretty regularly and at no time do I remember them 'searching' for the Dali Lama.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    I'm not really sure where this info stems from. I follow the new of His Holiness pretty regularly and at no time do I remember them 'searching' for the Dali Lama.
    Yeah, the Dali Lama moves around pretty freely (just not in China or Tibet). It's no secret where he is.

Back to the show.

I like the temperature display. From reading Krakauer and others you'd get the impression that everything above Camp III was slightly above absolute zero and any exposed skin would instantly freeze. Some of those temps seem reasonable.

I'm also surprised that while on the fixed ropes their ice axes are strapped to their backs. It seems like you give up a big margin of safety, especially being on the ropes with so many other people (maybe I don't fully understand how their system works and if there are any redundancies).
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default bleh

Im not a big fan of the new format. Its designed for the one and done viewer. I prefer the longer, have-to-watch-every-week style. This type of television is waaaaay to superficial for me, I like the depth of seasons 1 and 2.