Thread: Funny hiking stories.

Thanks

Default Funny hiking stories.

I was just looking through some photos of past hikes, and remembered some pretty funny moments. I'm sure everyone has one or two, here's a few of mine:

While ascending the Huntington Ravine trail last year, my wife and I came to one of the crossings of the Cutler River. It was flowing pretty good and we were both carrying pretty heavy packs, since we had planned to descent the Great Gulf trail and camp somewhere north of Spaulding Lake. My wife was a little nervous about the crossing and asked if I could stay close to steady her if she started to slip on the rocks. On either the first or second step I took, my foot started to slip off one of the nearly submerged rocks. Faced with either stepping directly into a foot and a half deep water or just leaping to the next rock and hoping for the best, I chose the later (I guess I'm an eternal optimist). I made that rock, but my momentum wouldn't allow me to stop, so I leap again, and again, and again. Within 2 seconds flat, I landed on the other side of the river, upright and completely dry! I turn around to to see my wife just staring at me, mouth wide open. After we finish laughing, I left my pack and crossed back over to help her across. I still have no idea how I made it across, since I've been known to trip on totally flat pavement!

The following day, descending on Glen Boulder trail, it was starting to get late and the winds were gusting pretty good. There had been 75 to 80mph winds at the summit, and the gusts sometimes threw us off balance on some of the rocky parts we needed to climb down. As the sun disappeared behind Boott Spur, I tried to hurry the pace. After a couple occasions where I got a bit ahead of my wife, she asked me to stay closer so I could help her down some of the awkward spots. The very next scramble we get to, I hop down, turn around to make sure she's ok, and then continue on thinking she's right behind me. After about 30 to 35 feet, I look back to see her still on the rocks, staring at me with a look on her face that said "what... did I... just... ask... ???". Yea, she didn't quite see the humor in that one, and my guilty laughter definitely didn't help.

So anyone else care to share some funny moments?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris3D For This Useful Post:

Mackmom (12-22-2010)

Thanks

Here's a funny/scary one for you.

I was hiking Moosilaukee with my friend and my hippy uncle. Since it turned out to be a surprisingly easy hike, we made good time and made our first break a good one at an overlook. We hadn't passed anyone on the trail, and were suprised to see an older man sitting at the overlook. He was wearing surprisingly non hiking looking clothes and had an old school canvas looking pack with lots of pockets and hiding places. We stopped to talk to the man for a while, getting his story, finding that he had hiked this mountain many times and used to carry supplies to the summit when they had buildings up there back in the day. My hippy uncle spent a lot of time talking to him, and my friend and I started getting restless and were ready to hike again. They got into a conversation and the man said that he had something in his pack that he wanted to show up, and started opening up pockets and hiding spaces. He pulled out this huge 5 inch hunting knife and kept looking for something he couldn't seem to find. My friend and I looked at each other and my first thought was, "Is this going to end up one of those stories you hear about?!??" We parted ways shortly thereafter, and kind of laughed at the thoughts that ran through our heads when he pulled out that knife! It was a little scary, but funny at the same time, since the man was obviously harmless. You never know who you'll run into!

Thanks

Default Funny hiking stories

Whic stories are better? Those that make us laugh or those that touch our hearts and teach us important lessons?

Thanks

Greetings My name is DJ Rogers. I am a student of Chapel Hill High School and I was hoping if I could interview you. It sounds like you have some great experience in hiking and camping which is exactly what I'm looking for. If you could please reply to my email at:
    droger93@gmail.com
    Thanks you. Happy trailing.

Thanks

Your story is very interesting, unique and funny ... glad to share with you all ... one thing is for sure all this gives a lesson for us all