Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Christmas Cooking and Baking

Thanks

I just hope that I did my Moms recipe justice, there actually is no recipe, it's just years of doing it. I wrote things down as I went along when I made them, I really hope it works.

I am also a baker, I love to bake and cook. And I'm proud of myself that I've gotten pretty good at it. I especially like making a cookie called Neapolitans, or tri color cookies (people call them different names ), I've mastered it and when I give them out, I get the ooh's and ahh's. It just makes me happy.

I am one woman that has no problem with spending all day in the kitchen...

Thanks

We just had our big bash as a family last night. Only one couldn't make it, one of my wifes brothers-in-law in VT as he remained behind to plow, but some of the family members drove up to CT/MA border and met them halfway so her sister could make it down. We found out that in PA a "traditional" Thanksgiving/turkey dinner is different from New England (they have potato filling instead of stuffing, or so it seems), but as a bastion of New Englanders we do not cave in, so we had:

We started with a citrus salad and a squash/carrot/parsnip soup. Then maple glazed turkey, a real nice fresh 17.9lb'er,my cranberry sauce is home made. Fresh cranberries cooked with 1/4c of water and maple sugar. It doesn't take long to cook, but you have to drop the heat at the key moment when the berries burst. (This same mix also makes a great pie if you add egg to it!) Then we had acorn squash, cut in half, rimmed with butter and brown & maple sugar and roasted. Mashed potaotes, of course, and stuffing. As well as brussel sprouts, pan cooked with bacon. Homemade bread too. It was great. And I can feel the speed of my typing slowing as I speak as the effects of indulgence are yet to wear off. We do a lot of French-Canadian cooking here, salmon pies, etc, etc. Love it.
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

Wow, didn't the past year go quick???

It's that time again, I will be spending the day with my Mom making pierogis for Chirstmas Eve Dinner.

Thanks

I cannot believe a year has gone by so quickly. Have fun Kathy! They sound delicious.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

I love baking too cause I am addicted to cakes. And its a wonderful experience baking for our love ones. Holidays are best with the families around. Baking together, taking pictures and eating with everyone is the most happiest experience ever.

Thanks

23 Doz. done, I'm pooped!

Thanks

Did you say 23 doz.Kathy?!! Wow,you will be ready for bed by 8PM.Can you send me some please? ;-)

Thanks

Kathy, that a lot of pierogis! And I bet they will taste great.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set