Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiking Goals for 2010

Thanks

Default Hiking Goals for 2010

Looking back on TrishandAlex's thread from last year, it seems like its time to start a similar thread for 2010.

Those who posted their goals, how'd you do? What's your goals for the upcoming year?

2010 Hiking Goals

• March 2010, Georgia hike on the A.T.
    • June 2010, Return to Yosemite NP to hike Mt Dana (first 13k+ peak) and Half Dome again
    • July 2010, Seek the Peak, Mt Washington, NH
    • Sept 2010, Flag on the 48, NH
    • Weekends hikes in the Shenandoah NP, George Washington NF, Dolly Sods WV

I'm also researching hikes in Newfoundland, Canada and Zion NP, but don't know if I'll get those in this year.

I'm also planning on becoming involved in my local ATC chapter on trail crews or shelter building to start earning my "good trail karma" in preparation for a possible thru-hike in 2011.

Considering taking courses to get my Winderness First Aid certification that is needed for some mountaineering courses and thinking about trying to do some trail guide volunteering.

For 2009, I was able to check off a good amount of my goals:

• ACCOMPLISHED! Yosemite National Park to hike up Half Dome, Clouds Rest and other spots. Looking at spending several days in the park backcountry hiking/camping.
    • A winter/snow hike of Mount Washington. Not sure when yet.
    • ACCOMPLISHED! Seek the Peak 09
    • ACCOMPLISHED! Start section hiking the Appalachian Trail.
    • I'd love to do a Presidential Traverse at some point this year.
    • ACCOMPLISHED! I'm sure I'll spend some time in the Shenandoah National Park which is pretty much my backyard.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Default hiking

After having open heart surgery in Sept, my goal is to hike Mount washington.

Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by d.b.cooperisalive View Post
    I think that 's a great goal d.b.Perhaps you should start out with some slightly less agressive hikes first and work your way up to the Rockpile.

How much mountain hiking have you done in the past?I'd like to know what your doctor thinks.We want you around to give us alot of great TR's.

Anna

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d.b.cooperisalive View Post
    My father had open heart surgery 1-2 years ago. After that, he set a goal of loosing weight and getting in shape.

This past September he went with me to climb Lafayette, his first real hike since he climbed the same mountain 40 years prior.

Several days before the hike, he actually climbed Washington via Boot Spur, stayed the night at Lake of the Clouds and then climbed down Tuckermans. A days rest we went and tackled Lafayette.

(Photos and story here.)
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Katahdin

Mount Washington again....this time I'm getting down on my feet!!

More of the 48 4000'

More of CT AT

Back to Mount Everett....I need to get over my dislike of said mountain.

Thanks

My 2010 hiking goals are pretty basic.

• do a lot of hiking along the AT here in PA and NJ
    • do STP10 in July
    • hopefully get time off work to do Flags on the 48 in Sept
    • get up to NH in Oct for a hike during the fall foliage
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

Default Hiking goals

For 2010:

Get in as many hikes anywhere as possible.We got rained out so many times in 2009 all we did were 6 hikes

Try to get Nigel to summit another 4,000 footer(He's done Mt Pierce with us)

Be able to get some nice photos on our hikes and do a good job with our TR'S.

Meet some of the forum members on the trail

Anna

Thanks

One of my MANY goels is to just start hiking. Not sure how much is here in NJ, might have to drive up to Bear Mt. in NY State. And I need to find a hiking buddy...

Thanks

Default Anna LeBlanc

I never hiked before but I am going to attempt hiking Mt Washington. My doctor said there is no reason I couldn't do this. In the spring I will be starting with small hikes and then work up to my washington hike in July - August. I have been walking 3-6 miles on roads 4-5 days a week for rehab. I realize walking a road is a lot different then walking Washington but I feel this is a good start. Having just having open heart surgery, I am not afraid of turning around and not finishing if it doesn't work out but it's my goal to finish. This is my goal and I hope to accomplish this.

Thanks

Many 2010 goals. Here's a rough sketch:

- Several winter hikes in the Whites. As many times as we can make it up north. Trails and peaks TBD.

- Among the winter hikes in the Whites hoping for a long weekend for my birthday in March at one of the AMC lodges (Cardigan, Highland or Joe Dodge).

- Spring weekend in late May or early June with a stay at Lakes and a day in Monroe Flats and the Alpine Garden.

- Spring backpack to the Baldies with Tim, Val, Kevin, Judy and Emma to make up for the one we missed due to the weather this fall.

- Six glorious days in Yosemite in June. No specific trails or peaks determined yet - so many to choose from.

- A week of "urban hiking" in San Francisco following Yosemite. Perhaps the best walking city in the world!

- Seek the Peak in July with hopefully a couple of other days of hiking while we are there.

- Day or weekend trips to the Whites during the rest of the summer and fall with a hope to knock off at least 7-8 more of the 4K we haven't got yet.

- A few days in Baxter in September to celebrate Natalie's 50th birthday (wait, was that 40th??). Katahdin certainly at the top of the list (Nat wants drag me over the Knife Edge). Other peaks TBD.

- Hopefully a couple of late fall / early winter hikes in the Whites to get our first taste of snow before 2011 rolls around.

Whewww. Feels like a long list (although this year's wound up being much longer than we had ever imagined).

Hope everyone has a wonderful hiking year!!!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page