Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hiking Goals for 2010

Thanks

Default d.b.

Quote Originally Posted by d.b.cooperisalive View Post
    I never hiked before but I am going to attempt hiking Mt Washington. My doctor said there is no reason I couldn't do this. In the spring I will be starting with small hikes and then work up to my washington hike in July - August. I have been walking 3-6 miles on roads 4-5 days a week for rehab. I realize walking a road is a lot different then walking Washington but I feel this is a good start. Having just having open heart surgery, I am not afraid of turning around and not finishing if it doesn't work out but it's my goal to finish. This is my goal and I hope to accomplish this.
    The very best of luck to you d.b.I hope all your dreams and goals are fulfilled.

Anna

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KathyC View Post
    One of my MANY goels is to just start hiking. Not sure how much is here in NJ, might have to drive up to Bear Mt. in NY State. And I need to find a hiking buddy...
    Kathy, there's a lot of nice places to hike in the northern part of your state. Some of the mountains there are pretty decent. Two places I have hiked are High Point State Park and Stokes State Forest. It's a beautiful area and you would never know you are in NJ.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

well the big one is to go to the to again for STP 2010
    and any other one that is to come along
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

My goals for last year were accomplished -- I think I came close to averaging on 4K a week last year. Maybe I didn't do that exactly, but...close enough.
    Alex finished the NH48 in August, reaching her goal of finishing the list before she turned seven.

This year, I'd like to:

Do 6-8 more winter peaks with Alex.
    Get Sage out there in winter (Bald Mountain, something very small)
    Do a couple of hut stays with each of my daughters
    Average one 4K each week

Perhaps also do a winter camping trip, but I may delay that until next year.

Thanks

We're keeping our goals pretty simple too. If I had one outlandish goal, it would be to do STP10 in my old Living History gear. Problem is that since most of that gear had to be custom made by hand, your average Living History outfit for the 1700's costs about $2000. One would want to have good weather and since we all know that there is no guarantee for that with Mt W, I will probably just lurk through some lower mountains in the gear.

Anyway, we have our trailwork plans, a long weekend in early June (before school is out, love it), a week at the end of June-early July, and then my personal favorite, a long weekend in October. That is my favorite weekend for trailwork. Michele and I will spend a week getting her more 4K's, a two night take-our-time hike of Garfield, Galehead, the Twins, the Bonds, and Zealand. We'll bag some more on certain days. I'm pleased that our efforts in convincing other members of her family as well as friends we have made down here to go hiking in NH have finally paid off. At least 4 have agreed to come with us and are excited about it. Two are in better shape than the others and are coming one week where we hit the trails hard, then one of my wife's sisters (there's five of them) and her husband are joining us on a seperate trip. We'll also be back on Labor Day weekend too. Then there's my nephew's graduation (GHS, he's a Huskie), geez...its endless. On the whole I spend about 6 weeks a year back home in NH but its the only way I can survive living down here.

We'll be starting the year going to VT to visit another one of Michele's sisters, ( we haven't been to VT in about 10 years) do some skiing and snowshoeing, so that will get it off to a good start. Everyone have a healthy and safe 2010 on the trails!
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

Well, I think my training will start tomorrow......going to the gym after work....will try to get 3 days in this week...Thurs I'm getting a tooth yanked for I'll be out of it for a few days afterward.

Thanks

My goal is to conquer 12 more of the 4000 footers. I'm only 1/4 of the way through, and want to finish them on my 40th birthday. I also would like to do STP, but may have some health changes coming up this year that may prevent that, but we'll see.

Thanks

My goals this year are:
    1. STP 10
    2. Tom, Field, and Willey
    3. Moosilauke
    4. Hale
    5. Waumbek
    6. Whiteface

And then any other mountain I can do off of the 4000 footer list. I've done most of the more accessible summits already but I would love to knock off 10 mountains this year.

Thanks

My hiking goals for 2010....

1. Don't let work overwhelm me. Plan vacation days to hike - every other Tuesday is what I'm doing for the winter. As well as 1 day on the weekend.

2. Do some spring hiking with my sister and nephew - training him for his first trip up MW this summer. He'll be 11.

3. Get that backpacking trip in with the Talbots and the Trumans!

4. STP in July

5. FOT48 in September

6. We've just started looking seriously at doing the Seasonal NH48 (48 x 4seasons). We've done about half so far, and it looks like it will be a productive winter - I say with fingers crossed. If we could just stop DUPLICATING the winter summits, we'd get there much faster. And for Trish and other Grid-seekers out there, Tim has started making statements like "Yeah, we have it for winter, but we don't have it for January". That can only mean one thing...

Valerie