Thread: routes up Mt Washington during Seek the Pea

Thanks

Default routes up Mt Washington during Seek the Pea

Hi,

I have just registered for Seek the Peak. This will be my second time. I participated last summer. I went up via the Boot Spur Trail and Davis Path and descended via Tuckerman's Ravine. I started shortly before 7 am and was down to the after hike party upwards of 6:30 pm. I seem to miss much of the party. They where in full swing.

Is there a quicker way to go so that I could get down earlier? Another problem was I spent some time touring the private portion of the observatory. That must have taken close to an hour! but ya gotta do that!

How do you guys get down to the after hike party in good time for the festivities?

And please don't just say you hike very fast. I do not hike fast. I like to enjoy myself.

David

Thanks

Boott Spur is definitely one of the longer routes. We've gone up Lion Head and down Tucks both years and made it back in plenty of time with a couple of hours on the summit. We've also started at between 6 and 6:30 to avoid some of the crowds in the morning which also gives us some extra time on the other end. Our plan for this year is actually to do the route you did last year.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

No matter what route you take up and down, it's key to start as early as possble and keep up a good pace. That doesn't mean running through the hike, but not taking your time either. My brother and I did the Ammo up and Tucks down last year. It was our first STP, and to keep on time we established way points on a map and times we should reach them. That way we knew if we had to pick up the pace, or had time to slow down. Whatever route you pick, find the average times for those trails and keep an eye on your watch. If you can get your hands on a copy of the AMC White Mountain Guide, it has all the average times. That's what we used and it was great resource. This way you're sure to get to the party in enough time to chat with everyone before the dinner starts.

Thanks

Yup.. Tucks/Lions head seems to be the quickest route, but most popular. If you want to spend time at the Obs (which I never seem to plan enough) you need to leave earlier.

Everyone seem to come down Tucks, so after noon, figure there's gonna be a good number of people on it.

If you like a challenging route, Huntingtons Ravine is a wonderful hike, though I would leave before sunrise to give myself plenty of time to enjoy it and the Obs.

I try to pick a different route every year and not sure which trail I'm taking this July. Maybe traverse from the west side and come down the east side.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    If you like a challenging route, Huntingtons Ravine is a wonderful hike, though I would leave before sunrise to give myself plenty of time to enjoy it and the Obs.
    It should also be noted this route is not recommended when it's wet or as an option for descent.

That being said, it is a challenging but awesome route. Second only to the Great Gulf, IMO.

Smitty

Thanks

Question Thoughts on Nelson Grag Trail

Greetings all!!!

Last year was my first STP, went up Tuckerman's for the first time and down Davis Path and Boot Spur...started at about 7:15am and was down around 4:30...but I was fried!!! Boot Spur was wet and slippery.

Anyone have any thoughts on Nelso Grag up and either Tuckermans or Lion's head down? I've been up and down Lion's Head twice in the past...never come down via Tuckerman's.

Chris