Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share Your Reaction to the New Record Windspeed

Thanks

Default Share Your Reaction to the New Record Windspeed

News of the new world record windspeed is still filtering out, and we've received an incredible amount of feedback from media outlets and Obs fans alike.

In recognition of this momentous occasion, we'll be dedicating a good portion of the upcoming issue of Windswept, our member magazine, to this issue. Windswept Editor Marty Basch would like to hear from you--our most dedicated Obs fans--for a feedback feature in the magazine.

What did you think when you heard the news? How do you think this will impact the Observatory? Please reply directly to this thread with your replies and comments, keeping them to 75 words or less. The sooner the better is appreciated.
    Cara Rudio
    Marketing & Communications Coordinator
    Mount Washington Observatory

Thanks

I see no change for MWO. Having a bare instrument record a wind speed on a "nice" island is very different from a mountain top with men and women working day in and day out, day and night to battle brutal weather conditions to get accurate and consistent recordings. Extreme weather is more than a wind gust. Yes, MW had the wind speed record for many years. But, its mystique is the combination of wind, cold, snow, rime ice - and people living there.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad For This Useful Post:

Charlie (01-28-2010)

Thanks

Default No Change

Brad's assessment is right on. As Bill O said in another thread, there's 253mph wind happening on the planet somewhere right now, but is there a human there recording it?

KDT

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KD Talbot For This Useful Post:

Charlie (02-07-2010)

Thanks

Same opinion from me. It's a shame that this is getting such media coverage (although I'm sure it won't for long). After almost 14 years this should just be a non-event.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

One thing that I find interesting is the record is not categorized by a particular weather event such as storm, cyclone, tornado, etc.. Don't vortice type weather events typically produce higher wind speeds? What about some sort of venturi situation created by mountain peaks? What kind of speed could be recorded there? What about the number of man hours spent at a location, recording not only data, but visual observations, pictures, daily events, etc.? I like the fact that this mountain is a place that people live & work 24/7/365. I also like that the mountain summit is so easily accessible by many people all year long. I feel that the people, history, folklore, recreation & overall aura of this mountain make it a much more interesting story.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to whitemtnvisitor For This Useful Post:

MsCntry (02-21-2010)

Thanks

Reposted from another thread:

Mount Washington's record windspeed wasn't special just because it was fast. It was famous because of the story behind the event.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill O For This Useful Post:

Charlie (02-07-2010)

Thanks

I agree with Brad when he says "But, its mystique is the combination of wind, cold, snow, rime ice - and people living there". That is why Mount Washington is special place for all of us.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

The 253 MPH wind is very significant. I don't think it will effect the MWO but don't down play it by stating "there's 253mph wind happening on the planet somewhere right now." A statement like that down plays the observatory. The 231 number is still very significant and a record in this part of the world.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulgla For This Useful Post:

Charlie (02-07-2010), MsCntry (02-21-2010)

Thanks

Default reaction to new record wind speed

First off, I strongly suspect that there must be even higher wind speeds that have occurred on the summits of Mount Everest and Mount Denali. Trouble is, there is and has never been anyone there to measure and record those winds.

If the scientific community has come to the conclusion that Barrow highland in Australia experienced the world record windspeed of 253 mph then I accept it.

Mount Washington still claims the the highest wind speeds and the worst weather in North America and that is saying something!

Does it really matter that much.. 253 mph or 231 mph? Kind a like saying would you prefer to hike in -35 mph or -45 mph. Doesn't make much difference. Still pretty darn nasty!

David

Thanks

Mount Washington is still home to the world's worst weather recorded in real time by dedicated real people of the MWO on a 24/7/365 basis. They live in it, they observe it, they record it and they seem to take delight in experiencing it firsthand. Where else in the world will you find that!
    Gene .. just one more Swamp Yankee from RI.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RI Swamp Yankee For This Useful Post:

Brad (01-30-2010), Charlie (02-07-2010), MsCntry (02-21-2010)