Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question of you winter hikers

Thanks

If you lose visibility, it's all over in a hurry. I hiked Jefferson in the late summer, and got lost in a blizzard. We couldn't see the cairns leading to the summit, and instead headed over toward Clay. Got about 1/2 mile out of the way before giving into my instinct that something wasn't right. It's very easy to be stubborn, just one more section...Had we been able to see the cairns and headed up the summit cone (all rock) and then lost visibility, we never would have found our way off of it in the right direction. Much harder with no visual trail to follow.

Thanks

Many years ago I had that happen in a snowstorm in the beginning of August. It can happen any month of the year. The best bet is to bail. The summit will still be there later.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Last winter early dec 10th or so. It was about 10-15 degrees in the valley with 30+mph sustained... I don't want to even know what the details were at the summit... Went up Lion's head to just about the rock and there came a point were you realized that you all of a sudden felling the real wind coming up over the bowl! Didn't try to summit as I got a late start and was concerned with time

Beautiful day though and those beers in the hot shower tasted very nice after
    Last edited by smithtim; 03-24-2010 at 12:50 PM.
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

I gave up after post holing for over an hour from Lions head to the ridge to the summit. Winds were about 70 and it had snowed a lot the day before which made visability sketchy. Plus when I took my goggles off to clean them my eye froze shut.
    I wasnt in the best shape but I saw people turn around that were obviously dedicated climbers so I didnt feel too bad- SNOW SHOES A MUST for me.

Thanks

I climb Mt. Washington at least once every winter. My worst weather day was in early March of 2007. Visibility was only 150 feet and the winds were picking up big time. Rounding the top of Lions Head on our descent I was picked up by a gust and thrown toward Tuckerman Ravine. I was able to self arrest and climb back up to my party. I took note of the time. At home that evening I checked the peak wind gust for the day and it was in excess of 120 mph at the exact time I was thrown.

Since I'm able to hike on very short notice, I always pick picture perfect days now. Theres nothing like a clear, sunny winter day atop good o'le George.