Thread: A Hike to consider

Thanks

Arrow A Hike to consider

One of my favorite trails is the Elwell Trail starting at Newfound Lake in Bristol, NH.
    You can hike to several small mountains and back or complete the 14 mile trek all the way to Mt Cardigan, as many do.
    One of the neat things about this hike is the Wolf santuary near Mt Oregan.
    Some hikers camp there just to listen to the wolves howl back and forth all night.
    I've been thru there during the day and it sounds like there are a hundred of them out there. Kinda freaks my cocker spaniel out.
    Anyway, the trail has recently been remarked in yellow and several maps are available online or you can use the AMC Mt Cardigan map.
    Check it out this summer. I will probably see you out there since it's part of my stomping grounds.

(here's some pics on another site) http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forum...ad.php?t=31644

Thanks

Thanks for sharing this and the link to the TR from last summer (which I missed seeing at the time). Cardigan is one of our favorite areas as we can manage it as a day hike driving up and back from RI the same day. The Elwell may be a stretch for that but is one I'd love to try. One of our friends did this loop (I believe the same way) last fall and loved it. Perhaps we will meet you out there next summer.

By the way, welcome to the forums!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Hi Mark,
    I think most people who want to do a day hike usually go from parking at the Wellington State Park on Newfound Lake and take the Elwell Trail from there to the summit of Big Sugarloaf or Bear Mt. then back to the park. Bear Mt. summit and back would be about an 8 mile round trip. Sugarloaf would be about a 4 mile round trip.

Thanks

Default Hey!

Welcome over here, Clay! We need some new blood on this forum, no offense to present members.

Now, sign up for STP and you can stay with us at Moosebrook!

KDT

Thanks

Default Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    Welcome over here, Clay! We need some new blood on this forum, no offense to present members.

Now, sign up for STP and you can stay with us at Moosebrook!

KDT
    I guess I jumped the gun and thought this was someone else, sorry Pathfinder. I thought it was Clay because it was linked to his trip report.

Welcome to the forum, anyway! We love Cardigan!

KDT