Thread: Snowshoeing on the AT from Tumbling Run Shelters to Chimney Rock

Thanks

Default Snowshoeing on the AT from Tumbling Run Shelters to Chimney Rock

My wife and I intended to make this hike yesterday, Valentines Day, but something important came up so we made the trip today. We were worried there would be no place to park at the trail head. Fortunately, DCNR plowed out two parking spaces. Our intention was to hike from the Tumbling Run Shelters to Chimney Rock, have lunch there and return before the latest snow started and/or darkness fell. It was nice to see other hikers wearing snowshoes had already cut a trail over the weekend. At first it was wide and got narrower as more hikers wearing boots dropped off and turned around. Lots of post holes to navigate around. We saw our last ones about a mile up the trail. Guess that was where the last intrepid boot hiker turned around, with very soggy feet no doubt. Snow was about three feet deep in most places. I know because I fell helping my wife up after she fell. I instinctively put my hand down to break the fall and my arm went in up to my shoulder and I never touched solid ground. Needless to say, even fully extended, the hiking poles were of little use. Weather was overcast and hardly a breeze. After leaving the rock it started to snow and it grew heavier along the way. It was a wonderful experience. But my thighs are really, really sore.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MOAB149 For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (02-15-2010)

Thanks

Nice report and pictures. You were lucky the trail had been broken for you.
    We postholed a couple of times on the trail over the week too and are feeling the after effects. Don't you just love it.

From what I understand more snow is on its way for the weekend and maybe next week.

Donna

Thanks

Very nice TR and photos Dave! The snow looks great up there. Glad you had a good time.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

Default Nice!

Nice TR and pics! Glad to see you taking advantage of the great conditions! We just got fresh snow in NH, can't wait to get out!

These will make your trekking poles more useful:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3667008

KDT