Thread: Micro Donations to MWO

Thanks

Default Micro Donations to MWO

Has anybody heard of PinkDingo.com? It's a new way to make micro-donations to MWO (and any other charitable organization).

https://www.pinkdingo.com/

It's an easy way to make small donations either as a one-time gift or a recurring transaction. In addition, it has some facebook type features where you can track friends and form groups and challenges to work together for a cause.

Its worth checking out, and more importantly its an easy way to give to MWO.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I haven't heard of them before, but looking more closely, as expected, they do charge a fee:

"A processing fee of 6.5% will be deducted from a single transaction that occurs during a payment cycle. A payment cycle could be as often as weekly but no longer than 30 days."

I don't know how this fee compares to the cost that MWO would incur when processing small transactions like this.

Ed

Thanks

Their fee seems in-line with any other fundraising site (e.g. firstgiving.org). Additionally, their ability to aggregate small donations minimizes the effect of fixed per transaction fee charges.

Obviously, a check sent directly to MWO would give them the most money. But, if you mailed a $3 check the stamp alone would increase costs by 14%. Not to mention the cost of processing the donations by MWO. And really, who wants to be mailing $3 checks?

The point is to make giving easier, which leads to more giving.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

We took a big step forward in November of 2008 when we signed on with Convio, an online fundraising software company. Now, donors can give as little as $5/month (I believe that's the minimum if I remember correctly) by simply going to our recurring gifts page, entering credit card info and electing to give monthly. We do have to cover the transaction fee (quite minimal), but the rest goes right into supporting the Observatory. $10/month is much easier to swallow than writing a $120 check once every year.

So, I would argue that there's no need to set anything up elsewhere for "micro" giving-- it can all be done right here.

The other great thing is that you can also elect to have your membership automatically renew. If you care about the cause and are passionate about the website, automatic renewals are as simple as checking one box on the membership form. Many, many members have chosen this route for renewals, and it's really a great vote of confidence for what we do here.

That's my two cents...

Thanks for your support, everyone!

Scot
    MWO Staff

Thanks

Scot,

For the non-profit foundation I am on the Board of, we have implemented Convio also. Plus, we have put in place a very visible marketing campaign called "Sustaining Friends" to get people to sign up for the monthly contributions - no matter what the size (I think we set $10 a month as the smallest folks can do). We will be making phone calls about Sustaining Friends, will use it in our communications, and it is mentioned several places on our web site to include the header on each page.

I agree with you, this is an very effective way of giving to an organization and it has very little overhead cost.

How much would you spend for a dinner out each month? Donate "a dinner" a month to MWO.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012