Thread: Highest Wind Gust

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Hiking in High Winds

What is the highest wind speeds anyone here has hiked in?
    Gusts, and sustained winds…
    Last edited by straps; 02-06-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks

90 m.p.h. winds,128 m.p.h. gusts on the rock pile. gotta love it!
    GA -> ME "05"
    hi chickety!!

Thanks

Keep in mind that what happens at 10 meters on top of the observatory tower is not what happens from 0 to 6 feet off the ground.

Unless somebody measured the wind speed with a handheld anemometer I'd cut their estimates by half or more to get the true wind speed.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default wind speed

Years ago I did many winter climbs with the guides from EMS and they seemed to be pretty accurate at assesing the true wind speed - at least more accurately than us amatuers. Bill O - you are right - most people grossly over estimate the wind speed let's say when they are on lion head - based on the summit report. From my experience - it's damn near unlikely that you can make substantial uphill progress in anything more than 50-60mph - standing erect at that speed on uneven, icy terrain is difficult at best - not to mention the inevitable gusts that will knock you off your feet. I've spent many nights in the obs and have been on the deck in 100+ - needless to say, I was unable to join the century club. One year I was on an overnight trip and the winds were 110+ in the morning and we had to wait it out to descend - we started out when it was down to around 90 as measured on top of the tower and as soon as we started descending down through the parking lot you could feel the speed dropping dramatically.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Keep in mind that what happens at 10 meters on top of the observatory tower is not what happens from 0 to 6 feet off the ground.

Unless somebody measured the wind speed with a handheld anemometer I'd cut their estimates by half or more to get the true wind speed.
    you mean like a kestral 2000??
    GA -> ME "05"
    hi chickety!!

Thanks

This question also depends upon one's definition of a hike. If someone considers a 15 minute walk around the parking lot a hike, then sure, 90mph is possible. But...if someone claims to have climbed UP from Lion Head to the Obs deck fighting a 90mph headwind all the way, then they are most definitely lying (or maybe just delusional).

Thanks

Default Gusty

Just gauging wind conditions for a summit attempt, President's Day weekend. We're going with IMCS guides. Trip report to follow.

Thanks for the info on the summit anemometer; still, we will be taking no chances.