Thread: first time..first route

Thanks

Default first time..first route

Hi there,

I'll be doing my first Washington hike this weekend and was wondering if you could let me know if our route is ok.

From the Pinkham Notch visitor center, we're planning on taking Tuckerman RAvine's trail right up to Lion Head and up to the top. For the way down, we thought about Tuckerman Ravine's trail all the way.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Smile

might be closed. i'd take boott spur if'n i was headin' up from pinkham. tux is over-rated.

afterwards, i'd fo' sho' head on down to moat mountain and git hammered!!

Thanks

Boo-

Tux is still closed, least it was last week. We took Boott up, and Lion Head down. T'was quite fun, except for that last 800 til ya get to the top!! hahaha

Thanks

Thanks Mel and Bruno,

So there is one part of Tux open right? Mel, you say you took Lion head down. Doesn't it merge with Tux at some point?

Thanks

Yeah, the first part of Tux is open, actually, I have no idea where it's closed....hahahaha. Do you have an alternate route if Tux is still closed? Of course, I saw two people who were doing Tux regardless.....have fun!

Archer15 Guest

Default Presidential Traverse

Leaving for a full traverse a week from tomorrow (maybe not Webster and Jackson depending on weather and group speed). Gonna do some valley hiking too so my group will be backpacking for three or four days.

Anyone have any idea about remaining snowfields? Yesterday I saw some left on The Ravines webcam in the Ravine and on the east face of the mountain; my route should lead me through that area and through the Tuckerman Ravine area a week from Tuesday, think we'll have any snow left by then? At least some in Tuckerman right?

Oh, and are there often bears anywhere on the Presidentials or Great Gulf or Dry River wilderness? Never even seen a moose around there, lots of people and such...

Any other suggestions/information welcome...

Thanks

Hi there,

Did it! We left the lodge at 08h00 and took Tux right to Lion head then up to the top. It took us 3 hours to get there. I was so exited to see the summit for real. But big disappointment, there was a race this weekend so it was packed with cars, people cheering the racer coming in, support personnel and I guess the usual visitors. Felt like boxing day in a mall!

Weather was perfect and temperature a little hot. No need for anything long going up or at the top…so the kilt would have been fine!

Tux is closed from hermit lake shelter I guess. I saw the snow on the last steep part in the trail from Lion head's outlook.

We took Davis path down (which is such a great view) to the evil boot spur. First and last time I take that trail. I have a slit problem with heights and this trail reminded me how bad it is. Just the view on the first section made me dizzy….so it took us 4.5 hours to get back. One of the guys down at Pinkham Notch suggested we take Glen Boulder. I'm pretty sure it would have been better.

Overall, I loved it and will go back for sure. It was worth the 4 hour drive from Montreal.

Thanks for all your advises.

:-)

Thanks

I know what you mean by the "disappointment" of getting to the top and finding intense "civilization" - cars - hot dogs - etc. There's just something incongruous about the whole scene. Having hiked to the summit many times over many years, I some times now avoid it and skirt around on the Alpine Garden trail and let the "others" in the group tackle the summit. But, all in all, every trail "up there" is awesome and unique. My son and I volunteered at the summit last summer for a week and it gave me a chance to hike some of the more "out of the way" trails that I hadn't been on before. All I can say is awesome, awesome, awesome! I can never stay away - as many places as I've hiked - Adirondacks, Smokies, Sawtooth, Three Sisters, Grand Canyon - and too many others to name them all - there's no place like the Whites in New England. Every few years I am drawn back, like some spawning Salmon returning to its birth pool, to clear the head above treeline. Mt Washington was my very first backpacking trip - and will very likely be my last this summer. I'm leading up a small group of "younglings" - the next generation of hikers that I will watch from afar - for, alas, the cartilage, between the bones of the lower back and knees, is slowly degrading after 30 some years of packing - and the pain level increasing. So, it's on to kayak camping after this - and maybe some more bicycle camping. Enjoy Mt. Washington, my friends - there's no other place on Earth like it!!