Thread: Maybe this explains the haze today?

Thanks

Default Maybe this explains the haze today?

I was wondering why it was so hazy on the webcams today. Looks like Mt. Washington is a victim of the haze that hit Boston? Must be some nasty fires up north.
    Mark
    Randomography
    MJ Pics

Thanks

I first learned about it from Jim (on Saturday).

I noticed it was very hazy in the Champlain Valley of Vermont all day Saturday, but it wasn't "hazy" type weather conditions. It was in the 60s all day with a few light rain showers and generally dry lower atmosphere. But, the mountains were barely visible. My eyes were watering most of the day, but I never thought smoke.

It cleared up on Sunday with a weak frontal passage (just in time for the Vermont City Marathon).

Then we woke up on Monday morning and I stepped outside to a strong inversion with temps in the 40s and a strong smell of smoke in the air. By mid-morning the the visibility dropped to less than a mile in smoke and the inversion was not breaking. We drove south about 15 minutes out of the Champlain Valley and the smoke was gone. When we got back into the Connecticut River Valley later in the day the smoke was back, but had mixed out quite a bit.
    Last edited by Bill O; 05-31-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

This:

is what my walk along the beach by Logan Airport looked like. Those vague square shapes in the background is Boston's skyline. You can usually see the skyline without any issues. Seemed like they were only using one runway to get the planes out of Logan

Thanks

When I wrote about the smoke in Saturdays Observer Comment, never did I imagine that it would get this bad across New England. We (the summit) have been seeing smoke from them for the past three weeks, it just came to a major head on Sunday and Monday of this week though. Sadly, with more thunderstorms on their way this week, Canada and possibly New England might be seeing a lot more fires springing up given the very dry conditions the past two weeks.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

I was in Durango, CO during the Missionary Ridge fire and the smoke in the Champlain Valley of Vermont was as bad as it was in downtown Durango just a few miles from the fires.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

We were camping on the beach in Salisbury, Ma all weekend and had no idea of the smoke. Headed home on 101 we started to notice it was 'hazy' which I thought was strange since it was only about 70 degrees. By the time we got back around the Concord NH area, we couldn't see far in the distance due to the 'haze'. Going through Henniker I could barely see the ski area there and thought it was really creepy and bizarre, since even on the haziest summer day you can see that close. Once back home we could smell the smoke. Strange how it would carry this far!