Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction and accommodations question

Thanks

Default Introduction and accommodations question

Hello everyone,

This is my first post . I'm from Poughkeepsie NY and began to love the White Mountains when I took a 2 week vacation there back in the 1977 when I was 20 years old. Back in 2006 I brought my wife and kids to this awesome place and we hiked (what else?) Mt Washington and a few other lesser (but still very enjoyable) hikes. It was great to be back after 21 years away! I'm an ADK 46r but I love hiking wherever and whenever I can, and I love the trails in the Whites! Also, fly-fishing the Swift and Saco Rivers are some of my favorite outdoor memories.

So, I'm in need of a little info since I'm planning another trip up to do what I call a "modified Presi Traverse" sometime in one day in the timeframe 7/7 thru 7/10 - hopefully we'll get one good day in that group of days! I'll probably have more questions regarding this trip but the main one I have for right now is concerning accommodations. Our group will consist of me and my 2 teenage sons. Price is critical and I'm looking for the cheapest, (bare-bones) motel I can find in the North Conway / Bartlett area. We need to sleep there, that's about it! Camping poses some logistics problems so that is not an option.

I've done a lot of motel searching on the net but there are a zillion motels in that area and I'm looking to narrow the search a little. Any recommendation for a cheap motel in that area would be appreciated. Thanks !!

Thanks

Hi Rich -
    Have you tried looking into one of the AMC lodges, if not try this link. I've stayed at The Highland Center many times but, Joe Dodge works too. There is a bunk house at the Highland Center - cheaper than the lodge.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/whit...land/index.cfm

Good Luck
    Club Member, Mt Washington Observatory
    ~ Everything happens in it's own time ~

Thanks

I personally don't think the AMC accomodations are cheap, especially when you are paying for 2 others I'm not knocking the AMC. They have their rates based upon what they can get and that is fine, but it is by no means cheap.

The campgrounds in/around the WMNF are cheaper and I prefer to hike into the woods and camp there. You need to be 1/4 mile from the roads, but that can be a pretty easy thing to do even if you get in late at night. The key is to find a reasonable spot. The AMC maps (see, I like the AMC ) are great for showing you where the terrain is likely to "support" a 3 man tent.

The AMC shelters are $8 a person (RMC shelters are similar) and they are usually not too far from the road, although getting into them at night (after 9pm) has caused me to find shelter elsewhere so that I don't disturb the occupants.

Hope this is somewhat helpful and happy hiking.

Thanks

One good choice in N. Conway is Moat Mountain Inn. Good prices and newly remodeled rooms. One of the cheapest places in town. If you're doing an N-S traverse then there are some good choices in the Gorham area. The Mt Madison Motel is a good one (and cheap). http://www.mtmadisonmotel.com/

We really like the AMC lodges but they aren't cheap since the rates are per person.

There is also a hostel in Conway but I don't have any personal experience with it. http://www.whitemountainshostel.com/index.html

Hope this helps.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

What about the hostel in Gorham? It's cheap and very bare bones.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

The Swiss Chalet in Intervale is pretty bare bones & it's about 10-12 miles from Pinkham. Unsure of the rates. It has(unless somethings changed) a pool & hot tub for some sore muscle therapy. Good Luck

Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone! The Swiss chalet and Mt Madison Inn have the rates I'm looking for. Of course, if there are any cheaper ones that anyone knows about, please let me know.

Intervale / N. Conway location is desireable since it puts us in close prximity to the Saco for a refreshing dip after the hike.

We will have only one car, hence the need for a "modified Presi". We'll begin and end at Pinkham Notch visitor center. Ideally, we'll ascend Boot Spur, then Mt Washington, Jefferson, Adams and Madison and back to the car. I'm relatively used to 20-ish mile dayhikes but if anyone thinks this is a little foolhardy for one day, enlighten me, please. I see several escape hatches via the Sphinx and 6 Husbands Trails if we lose our stamina.

If we just do Washington and Jefferson, I'll consider the hike a success!

Thanks

http://www.coveredbridgemotorlodge.com/

Cheap, kinda clean, close to Pinkham. Just stay out of the pool.
    ~Rich

Thanks

Another thought might be the Bartlett Inn on Rt. 302

Thanks

If you are considering hostel- type accomodations, there are a couple of alternatives in Gorham NH, 8 mi north of PNVC. Gorham accomodations are closer to Pinkham than North Conway or Bartlett, and generally run lower on the wallet meter. Small downside is that coming from the SOUTH, you do have to overshoot your start point by a bit.

The Colonial Fort Inn/Hiker Paradise is a longstanding hiker overnight, as is the AT hostel at The Libby House, and I've not heard anything but good comments about either one.

Anything in the vicinity is close to a swimmin' hole, even if you rule out the Androscoggin. The Peabody River runs north to the Andy, is NH F& G stocked with trout, and has a ton of good fishing as well as 3rd hole, Garnet Pool and Emerald Pool for cooling off. Emerald Pool is MAYBE a mile and a half north of Pinkham Visitor Center, just past Wildcat C-lot entrance and has a turnout right there on Rt 16 for convenient access. Park, scramble a little down over the bank, you are in the water.

Are ya chuckling a little about the name Colonial Fort Inn? There is a story there~

It used to be the Colonial Comfort Inn, a small family run B&B, with a hiker/skier hostel. A few years ago, Comfort Inn blew into North Conway, built a commercial motel, and claimed trademark status, demanding that the little 8 room Colonial Comfort Inn in Gorham drop Comfort from their name and advertising or risk lawsuit.

La Di Da. The family that OWNS the Colonial - - - Fort Inn in Gorham took a can of white paint and a paintbrush out to their signage and whited out 3 offending letters.

Breeze