Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introduction and accommodations question

Thanks

Which is the one with the Blueberry Muffin? I stayed there one, and liked it

Thanks

Breeze
    Now that's a funny story. Maybe they should have used these over the first three letters, with the story at the bottom of the sign.
    images.jpeg

Thanks

MelNino
    I believe that's the Mount Washington Valley Inn or something similar to that. I've stayed there before & it was nice.

Thanks

I found a motel called The Maple Leaf Motel in North Conway for only $70/night - perfect for what we need !

I'm firming up the final details for the hike. We plan on getting to the Pinkham notch trailhead just as it's getting light enough to see - I guess around 4:30am.

I just have a couple of final questions:

Are there parking fees, and how are they collected at that early time of day?

Are there any special permits that we need to do this hike? It's just a day hike - no overnight, no fires, pets, etc.

Are there any special regulations for the Great Gulf Wilderness? We will be hiking through it back to the car.

Thanks !

Thanks

I am not aware of any fees with Pinkham Notch day parking. You may want to sign the register as to where & when your hike is happening. Just don't forget to sign out when you return. No special regs for the gulf. Just some strenuous terrain.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
    Are ya chuckling a little about the name Colonial Fort Inn? There is a story there~

It used to be the Colonial Comfort Inn, a small family run B&B, with a hiker/skier hostel. A few years ago, Comfort Inn blew into North Conway, built a commercial motel, and claimed trademark status, demanding that the little 8 room Colonial Comfort Inn in Gorham drop Comfort from their name and advertising or risk lawsuit.

La Di Da. The family that OWNS the Colonial - - - Fort Inn in Gorham took a can of white paint and a paintbrush out to their signage and whited out 3 offending letters.

Breeze
    Fantastic story!
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Fantastic story!
    I eat breakfast there every time I get up to Gorham. The owner is a great guy to chat with.

Thanks

We just got back on Sunday from this trip. We ended up going up Boot Spur over Washington and down Lion head on Thursday. It was quite an abreviated version of what I originally planned, but it was a great hike and the weather held with us. The summit was a bit socked in with clouds - no matter. What I was going for was an extended amount of hiking above the tree line and this did not disappoint.
    Friday we did Eisenhower from Mt Clinton road which was another great hike. Weather both days were 90-ish in the valleys but summits were in the 60's. After the hikes we cooled off in the Saco at the River Road bridge in North Conway. The Maple Leaf Motel was cheap and clean and even had a frig and microwave. I can't wait until next year !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Richg For This Useful Post:

Brad (07-15-2010)

Thanks

Sounds like things worked out great Rich. Gotta love it when a plan comes together. Nothing like that White Mountain air conditioning on the high peaks to escape from the heat of the valleys too. Not surprised that you are looking forward to the next trip - no matter how often we go I'm always planning the next one on the way home...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page