Thread: 10 month old on Camel's hump and Mansfield, Vt.

Thanks

Default 10 month old on Camel's hump and Mansfield, Vt.

Just got back from a hiking trip to Vermont and thought I'd share a few photos.

Went with an AMC group on an annual trip to Stowe, Vt. Two years ago, I met my wife on the same trip, and we thought we'd celebrate by going back this year with our 10 month old son.

The first hike was Camel's Hump on Saturday. We've done some small hikes locally (in NY's Shawangunks) and a number of day-hikes in the Catskills to both get us into shape and get our son accustomed to hiking. Thankfully, he seems to love being in the pack. Here he is in the pack and sitting on the survey marker at the summit:

On Sunday, we hiked a 9 mile route up Mt. Mansfield. Above the treeline and along most of the ridge, it was incredibly windy, I'd estimate gusts up to about 50mph, but on the summit, it was only slightly breezy. Here's the little guy, happy as can be, at the summit:

And on Monday morning, the trip leader has a tradition of hiking Mansfield again before breakfast. My wife slept in with the baby and I, along with 4 others, headed out at 4am. Shedding about 30lbs of baby and pack, the hike was a breeze, even that early and after 2 previous days of fairly strenuous hiking. We made the summit in 2 hours flat, and were greeted by a spectacular view. We we later learned it was caused by smoke from some forest fires in Canada. 360 degrees and to the horizon, it was like a ocean of mist below us with only the surrounding peaks showing through:

We got back to the inn just as the everyone else was getting ready for breakfast. It was an incredible trip all around - the hiking in general, taking our son up the mountains and having him enjoy it so much, and the amazing view Monday morning.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris3D For This Useful Post:

Charlie (06-02-2010)

Thanks

Great pictures Chris. The ones of your son sitting and crawling on the summit are priceless. 10 months old and he's already knocking off 4Ks.

Beautiful shot of the mountains through the haze and smoke. A shame that such a nice image comes from something so tragic. Mother nature has interesting ways...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Great pictures. Looks like you both had a wonderful time and your son looks really happy to be there. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Very nice photos Chris. Your son looks very happy to be out there hiking with you.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Thanks

Nice pics. I've said it many times before, you can't start them too early. I bet he's hooked!
    ~Rich

Thanks

Wonderful pictures Chris.He sure looks like one happy little guy.Wish some adults I've seen on the trail looked that happy.