Thread: Hikes to do in winter??

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Hikes to do in winter??

Hello All,

I am experienced summer and snowshoe hiker but i'm still a newbie in axe and crampons hikes.

Since going for the Mount Washington summit is probably not a good idea, do you have an hike to suggest me?

I'm taking a axe and crampons course this weekend and I would like to put what I will learn in practice in the beatiful White Mountains...

Thanks a lot!!

Vincent

Thanks

Why don't you work your way up to Lion's Head? It's a steep snow climb without the exposure of heading to the summit.

Although, if you decide to glissade please take off your crampons. Same thing if you are practicing self-arrest with your axe, no crampons!
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default winter hikes

Bill. - good choice - I was going to suggest the exact same hike - the nice thing is that its relatively protected while below treeline and it's not so commiting that you can pretty much bail out and turn around at any time - depending on the amount of snow and ice cover there can also be a few tricky spots. The protection of the trees also allow you to get to treeline in nasty conditions, and "stick your nose out" into the wind. A good but still challenging hike to practice your cramponing skills from your course. Nothing says you have to summit to enjoy Mt Washington while you are learning.
    Tim

Thanks

Default Boott Spur

I agree that Lion's Head would be an excellent hike for what you are after, some experience with your crampons and ice ax. However, if you're not considering going to the summit to begin with, I am kind of partial to the less traveled path of the Boott Spur Trail. One can always stop at Harvard Rock if conditions get hairy or energy wains. From Pinkham Notch to Harvard Rock is 1.7 miles and 1750' eg. There are excellent views into Tux from here. Split Rock is another 3/10's and 300' eg and their are excellent views from Pinkham Notch to North Conway including the Gulf of Slides as well as Tux. From there it is another1200' over .9 miles to the summit of 5500' Boott Spur, so may be a lot more than you want to do. I would advise against any thought of descending by Boott Spur Link without more experience. Just my 2 cents worth.

If you're looking for something tamer than Washington, I would suggest the Webster/Jackson loop or Mount Pierce, Mount Eisenhower or a loop over both, though this can be taxing. Good luck and as always we will expect pictures and a trip report.
    KDT

Thanks

Thanks a lot for these suggestions. I will defenitly have a look at them.

Nice to see some complete reply like these...

Thanks a lot from a french Canadian newbie!!

Thanks

Another vote for Boott Spur. Without having to venture above tree line you get a fantastic view into both Huntingdon and Tuckerman ravines. If conditions allow the views to other parts of the Notch and beyond just keep on coming

Which reminds me - I promised myslef to take this very trip in winter!

Bob