Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hikes to do in winter??

Thanks

Default courses

Both Eastern Mountain Sports and IME(International Mountain Equipment) in North Conway offer excellent 1 day winter mountaineering courses. Well worth the price. There are also several other smaller schools that you can find on the web that do the same although I have no first hand experience with them.
    Tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mk10
    If you're climbing a route that requires crampons, then you generally (but not always) need an ice axe. Get yourself the ice axe before you go cramponing.
    I agree. In fact, I'd argue that the ice axe comes before the crampons. Please do some reading on the proper axe length to buy. You're not looking for an axe the length of a cane, and you're not looking for a technical ice tool.

The length of the traditional mountaineering ice axe is about the number of centimeters from the climbers fingertips to the floor when he or she is standing in boots on a level surface.
    So when your hand is closed and you are holding the axe at your side it will not touch the snow, by a few centimeters.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lwa11
    Where did you find a course for crampons and ice axe usage? I just purchased crampons today and an ice axe is on the list so I would love to learn how to properly use them too.
    I'm a member of an outdoor club and one off the guys is experienced in axe and crampons. He gave the course.

I don't really know where to get one elsewhere. Maybe posting another thread for that would be a good idea to get an answer...

Vincent

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vgravel
    I don't really know where to get one elsewhere. Maybe posting another thread for that would be a good idea to get an answer...
    Sorry, I didn't see the reply from CLIMBABOUT...

Thanks

Also another great source of mountaineering info is the book "Mountaineering:Freedom of the Hills" - you can generally find it at any good outdoor gear store or online I'm sure - although nothing is as good as personalized instruction, I've found this book to be helpful both before and after taking courses as a way to familiarize myself with what I was about to learn and then afterward as reinforcement.
    Tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by climbabout
    Also another great source of mountaineering info is the book "Mountaineering:Freedom of the Hills" - you can generally find it at any good outdoor gear store or online I'm sure - although nothing is as good as personalized instruction, I've found this book to be helpful both before and after taking courses as a way to familiarize myself with what I was about to learn and then afterward as reinforcement.
    Tim
    I agree. That's the Bible for mountaineering. Every mountaineer should have a copy, even if they know everything there is to know about mountaineering. It's a great read, and always great for a quick reference.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Thank you for all the great tips. I appreciate them. I will certainly check out the schools and pick up the book.

Thanks

I picked up the 7th edition of the Mountaineering Bible today and just wanted to thank you again for the heads up.