Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: STP trails

Thanks

Default STP trails

I was thinking that it might be a good idea to find out which trails everybody is thinking on taking and what start times for the Seek The Peak. That way if anybody will be hiking alone they might be able to hook up with someone.
    I am still trying to choose between Lions Head or the Jewell. It all depends on weather my wife will be coming with me or not. If I take Lions head I was thinking of a 3am start again but if I/we take the Jewell then it might be around 5am.

Thanks

Great idea for a thread Chris! We haven't nailed down a specific route yet, but are thinking of taking the Jewell up and Tucks or Lion Head down. Our start time will most likely be 6am.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

i think i will do the Auto road up and down

we will be doing Lions head with Brad and Ed the time to start will be up to Brad ,and if you hike up with me there are plenty of stops to take pictures .you get to do that when you have to stop so i can catch up
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

After seeing the huge avalanche on the ammy this year...I'm thinking about up that...and catching a ride down somehow. Time tbd...
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Charlie,We were consideing doing the Lions Head with you and Brad and Ed. My wife says she will only start in the dark if we go with you guys . Then we could hide in your your truck on the way down . If we go that route we could bring you from the motel and meet up with Brad and Ed so he wouldn't have to go all the way there to pick you up.

Thanks

nancy was going to bring me there but if your going she could sleep in
    Brad is bringing his suburban to the kick of party fri night and he will take our car home that night and we take the truck ,then nancy will drive that to the top to pick us up .
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

That would be cool. I would even kick some money for the truck. I am sure Nancy would rather sleep in. When it gets closer we will have to get discuss everything. Can't wait for STP its going to be great.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CHRIS For This Useful Post:

Charlie (06-22-2010)

Thanks

Default STP route

I am thinking of hiking up the Lions Head Trail and back via the Tuckerman Ravine trail. My reasoning being to get to and back from summit in good time for the after hike AYCE buffet! If anyone of you has done the Lions head trail up Washington could you tell me what it is like? any harder (or easier) than other trails up the mtn?

David

Thanks

This is the combination we have done for STP in the past and I have done many other times. Lions Head up is a trail less traveled - but gives wonderful views pretty quickly. The trail from Pinkham to the Lions Head trailhead is a steady up hike. It is a wide path with rocks to step around as you go. Lions Head trail goes up pretty fast right off with a ladder at one section and gets you above treeline quickly. From there you continue up on rocks with a bit of scrambling when you get close to Lions Head summit. From there the view into Tuckerman Ravine is great. Gentle slope up as you cross the Alpine Garden and then the cone of Mt Washington is a killer as it is rocks piled on rocks and it only goes up.

I have taken first time hikers on this trail combination if they are in good shape as there is a lot of leg-lifting and aerobic work. The Ammo-Jewell loop is a lot easier, though longer.

The big negative with this route is you can not see the weather coming in from the west.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I will be hiking with first timers this year so I have to consider logistics rather than just running up and grabbing a cookie in the Obs. I am thinking we'll go up the Ammo so they can stop at Lakes and then make the final push to the summit.

If the weather is nice we can take in the views and go down the Jewell. My goal is to be up and down with my group safely and not be late for dinner