Thread: 1st time route suggestions

Thanks

Question 1st time route suggestions

Would anyone have a good first time route suggestion to ascend mount washington? Also how long does it take on average , I assume you allow an entire day....and get there early?

Whats the latest I could arrive on the mountain by and still make it up and down at the same time? are there any alternatives in case you get stuck with time running out of daylight to get back down say on one of the mt washington vans?

Mainly I just want to know what the best , and easiest way up for a first time hike up mt washington?

thanks

- jeff

Winchester, MA

Thanks

Hi Jeff!

I am sure some of the more experienced peeps here can give better advice, but I'll give ya my two cents ;-)

Get there early, I'd say 8am. When we did it two weeks ago, we got there at 10am, and got back at 9pm....not fun as it was a tad dark.

There is a van you can take down, its pricey, $26, "not including gratuity for the driver." The last van when we were there left at 4pm.

As for a route up, we took Boott Spur. It was fun. I recommend Lion Head for the route down....I am absoutely inlove with that trail.

Have a great hike....post pics! Give my love to Nin!

Thanks

Another vote for Boott Spur Trail, which I enjoyed on Saturday. The climbing is steady to the top of Tuckerman Ravine, and very scenic.

I took 50 pics, haven't yet been downloaded. I'll post some tonight.

Happy Trails!

Thanks

Ok but I dont want to have to climb up many ledges. Is there a route you can take up where I wont have a chance of slipping and injuring myself like I did at Monadnock? On Monadnock I slipped about 3/4 of the way up and twisted my ankle..slammed my ankle against a rock quite hard and had to limp down to the bottom...:P Not fun...:P

This was on the Main trail everyone takes up that is supposedly easy...there's this one cliff towards the top thats impossible to climb up. I tried numerous attempts at making it up it, positioning my shoes different ways but to no avail. I kept slipping I almost made it up the last time but lost my footing and slid down the rock right into another jagged rock and banged my ankle. Ouch did that hurt!

I had a bruise for a week or so....:P

I do not want to go through that again so if you can assure me I wont have to climb up huge ledges i'll be fine .

- jeff

Also what should I bring with me?
    Should i just bring som ewater, food, flashlight, and light jacket this time of year?

Thanks

On the route we took, and I am sure most routes, the last 800 feet are a good climb over some boulders...or as my friend so aptly put it...the "800 feet of hell."

I brought water, fleece, waterproofs, emergency kit, compass, knife, food, poles, um, various other things I can't remember right now (yeah beer). Remember the ol' saying as well...cotton kills :-)

Thanks

I dont mind climbing over some boulder as long as the footing is decent and you can get up./down.

That ledge on Monadnock was impossible for me to get up.

there was no place for footing, etc.
    which is why I ended up slipping.

-jeff

Are the boulders /ledges on the boot spurr trail and lions head that bad?

Or do you think I could get up ?

Thanks

I wonder if anyone knows the ledge on Monadnock I am referring to. Its like 3/4 of the way up one of the last ledges before the summit. I was doing fine up till thatpoint. Then I hit that damn ledge.

Its at the most impossible angle with no footing.

Thanks

Thanks

I know the "ledge" you're referring to on Monadnock - or pretty sure of what you speak. It's like the "slick rocks" out west - long, smooth slabs or rock that test the "grip" of your shoes. I don't think you're really going to run into anything like that on most of the trails around Mt. Washington. I've hiked up several different routes over the years - Tucks, Huntington, Jewell - and, frankly, they're ALL manageable. Views ARE outstanding from Lions Head - I would definitely suggest passing that way - either up or down.