Thread: Acadia Camping

Thanks

Default Acadia Camping

So I really want to go camping in Acadia this summer, but all the sites that you can reserve online are booked. The rest of the sites are first come, first serve and from what I understand they book up quick and to the max.

Has anyone had any luck with camping there? I plan to drive up around midday on a Friday and camp through Sunday. What are the odds I can get a site at like 5 or 6 on a Friday?

I welcome all advice, tips, hints, other camping venues, etc.

Thanks,

Flip

Thanks

What kind of a "site" are you looking for? Tent site or a Pull through for 45 footer with water, Electric, Cable TV and WiFi? something in between?

Breeze

Thanks

Oh yea, tent site.

Thanks

I booked a night in one of the big park campgrounds only a few weeks before my trip a few years ago. Might have been mid-week though. We also called last minute and got a tent site for two nights in Baxter at Roaring Brook. I guess they had some cancellations.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

http://www.acadiamagic.com/acadia-lodging/camping.html

My recommendation would be to look at Hadley's Point, Bass Harbor, Somes Sound, Seawall... as these are a bit off the " highway" to Acadia ( Route 3), IE they aren't right in plain sight of every car arriving on the island. They are NOT remote, by any stretch of the imagination, because MDI is--- an island-- and nothing is really very far away.

I'd go for it, I don't think tent sites on MDI truly fill to Sold Out except perhaps for 4th of July and Labor Day weekends, if then.

Have a great trip!

Breeze

Thanks

Great link Breeze, thanks for the info. Still up in the air about going up there blind, aka, without a reserved campsite, so Im still on the fence. I guess worst case I just drive around to all of them until one is open?

Thanks for the input!!!

Flip

Thanks

Are you familiar with MDI? Or are you taking your information from the National Parks Reservation Service for places like Blackwoods?

Truly, the vast majority of CG on MDI are NOT affiliated with the NPRS, and there are DOZENS. Lordy, there are probably 6 CG's starting with 2 in Trenton near the Thompson Island Bridge, and at LEAST 4 more between Trenton and the Eden St ANP entrance, and that is just a few miles onto the island. Not to mention the easily accessible Lamoine State Park "just" off island.

I'll bet a couple of phone calls to specific places would ease your mind.

Breeze
    Last edited by Breeze; 07-28-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: more information