Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far do you travel to get to STP???

Thanks

Default How far do you travel to get to STP???

4 hours for us

That being said, I'm going to go out on a limb and take the chance that this may be an unpopular question.

Can we think about approaching the raffles and prizes a different way? Wife and I stick around every year and win nothing . Then we drive 4 hours home.

There has got to be a better way. Can't we draw the winners durring dinner?

As STP grows, this will need to be adressed.

Anyone else feel this way?

Thanks

STP is a 12 hour drive for me.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

My favorite part of STP is handing over the money I collected and seeing the smiles on the volunteers faces!
    Thats my big win
    click here to sponsor me or just check out my page

https://www.mountwashington.org/site...=kendragarrity

Thanks

WOW!!!! 12 hours

Is that total or one way????

My wife just corrected me and we won a water bottle this year.

We truely love the event, we do. And we will be there again next year. But we left before the party was over and still didn't get home until 11:30 pm. It makes for a very long day when you are up at 4 to be on the trail by 5 in hopes of beating any foul weather. We could have spent the night, but we already used vacation days and got a room at Joe Dodge. So it's not in our budget to stay another night.

I just think in might be better if prizes and awards were presented durring dinner.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kendra4 View Post
    My favorite part of STP is handing over the money I collected and seeing the smiles on the volunteers faces!
    Thats my big win
    My wife had a blast volunteering and collecting peoples money and I had a blast taking friends to the top on MW for their first time. They both loved the event and loved getting into the Obs. But they too wished the party ended a little earlier.

Thanks

it was hard to tell because our Tom-Tom pulled a HAL-9000 on us. My next purchase is a 2011 Road Atlas. I think it should have taken nine hours.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by One_who_waits View Post
    WOW!!!! 12 hours

Is that total or one way????
    That's each way. From the time I left Virginia until I return, I put 1,650 miles on the truck. This year and last, we headed over to the after party at Moose Brook, hung out for a bit and then hit the road. We try to get a few hours in, then sleep on the side of the road somewhere, and finish the drive on Sunday. Its a pretty tiring drive to do all in one shot.

There were some lulls in the action at times during the party, but I'm not sure what could be done to move things along. Things happen at a pretty good pace anyway. The problem with doing some awards/prizes during dinner is that you will always have someone that's in line getting food when their name is called.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

I drove seven hours the next day to Jersey shore after camping for the night at Dry River and yes it was a long seven hours but well worth the effort. I personally think the after party was just fine the way it was.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    That's each way. From the time I left Virginia until I return, I put 1,650 miles on the truck. This year and last, we headed over to the after party at Moose Brook, hung out for a bit and then hit the road. We try to get a few hours in, then sleep on the side of the road somewhere, and finish the drive on Sunday. Its a pretty tiring drive to do all in one shot.

There were some lulls in the action at times during the party, but I'm not sure what could be done to move things along. Things happen at a pretty good pace anyway. The problem with doing some awards/prizes during dinner is that you will always have someone that's in line getting food when their name is called.
    True, not everyone is there when their name is called. But STP has everyone's contact info. Maybe pull a name and if they aren't there......send it to them in the mail? Just a thought.

Wife and I know what putting an event like this together takes. It's a huge undertaking and STP does a great job. We championed "Hikers Summit" in Manchester, VT for years. MWWO was always there. Back when Brian Yeaton was part of the team. It was hard work.

I'm just thinking about the growth of STP. We would all like to see it get bigger and better. We all want new people to join in the fund raising.

Like I said before. We recruited two new people to raise funds and hike. They had a blast. But when we asked them if they are going to do it with us next year, their reply of how late they were getting home made me think.

My wife and I didn't plan on going home. We planned on breaking up the drive to see friends in northern, VT. But they bailed on us. Kid issues.

It's just a thought.

On a side note. We wish we had a chance to met some of you folks. Maybe next year.

Thanks

We drove for about 8 hours each way, and it's always worth it. Left on Sunday morning at 8am and got home around 4pm. I too think the After Party was just fine this year. BlueDog does have a good point about why it wouldn't be good to do it during dinner. But who knows, maybe shot Scot a PM and throw around a few ideas? It seems like they are always looking for ways to improve the event every year.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set