Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for STP '11

Thanks

Cool Suggestions for STP '11

Before I post any suggestions I have to say "thank you" & "congratulations" to the entire Obs staff, the volunteers, and sponsors for yet another wonderful event. I don't know if it could get any better. But if any of these ideas help no matter how trivial, then so be it. Here are a few we had.

Fri. night reg. party: NONE

Sat. after dinner party:
    1) bottled water at check in desk and food line
    2) 6 strategically placed fans for circulation
    3) sponsors posters placed on the west wall (shade)
    4) demo tents (like backpacker mag. ) set up on east side of main tent so spectators dont stare at sun for 90 min.

Still a great time....................Anyone else?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Great Guinness Ghost For This Useful Post:

Charlie (07-28-2010)

Thanks

Default Thoughts

I was surprised they didn't do anthing for the kids that climbed. Madison still remembers and talks about being the youngest hiker to climb 2 years ago. I think it is so awesome to see kids climb Washington and I just think they should get a piece of the spot light. Also what about a wrap up page with the hike and the winners at the after hike party. This would be a nice thing to give to those who were kind enough to donate. I Think that it is important for those who donate to really understand what they are donating to. Just some thoughts. Overall a GREAT event and very well run.

Thanks

I thought every bit of the event was great this year. The food and drink were excellent. Many thanks to everyone involved who made it possible. A few suggestions I have would be to:

- definitely keep the Kick-Off Party at the Discovery Center. That was much nicer than the year before at Flat Bread.
    - kick around ideas like Rex suggested and do more for the kids. Recognition for the youngest hiker, awards for just the kids, maybe a momento for each kid like a little weather info book (I bought one of those the first time I went up the mountain and it sparked my interest in how weather works). I would be willing to pay a little extra for a give away like that.
    - have fans for sure. It was a bit warm under the tent.

Other than that, fantastic time this year.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Miser For This Useful Post:

Charlie (07-29-2010)

Thanks

Default Stp

Again I want to echo the sentiments of others here that this was a great event! Thank you for your time and effort to make this something to look forward to each year!

As great as this was, like anything, there is always ways it could be made even better.

This would be my one suggestion and it is a major one and may not be feasible, but here goes:

I think the concert should have been Saturday Night right at the tent at the base of the Auto Road immediately following the awards dinner.

Logistically it was complicated for us to arrive, check in, eat, set up camp 30 miles away in Gorham, and then travel back to North Conway for the concert. We didn't make it.

Granted we arrived Thursday and hiked Friday and didn't feel like making the trip to NC after hiking, cleaning up and eating, but I can imagine the scenario for many involved getting out of work Friday, loading up, driving up, dealing with the traffic in North Conway, checking in, trying to eat and going to wherever they were staying, unpacking, getting set up, etc.

It's a little too much.

My suggestion is leave Friday Night open to check in only. Maybe some food. Too many other things to deal with that day.

Saturday we hike, have the awards and we're all wound up with nowhere to go. I think that is when I'd like to kick back and have a few beers with friends while listening to a concert. I didn't have to drive 30 miles back into the traffic I already fought for several hours earlier to get to the concert, and I don't have to then drive 30 miles back at night in moose country.

Having it at the tent at the base of the Auto Road would increase gate sales as well and give an opportunity to reach potential new members who might drop in from the Auto Road, nearby campgrounds and drive-bys for the concert. Believe me, Saturday Night in a campground young families and many other folks are looking for something to do with the kids or whatever. I think this is a good opportunity to attract many potential new members.

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 08-05-2010 at 09:40 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KD Talbot For This Useful Post:

Charlie (08-05-2010), CHRIS (08-05-2010)

Thanks

Default Just a thought

I did not hike but, I did volunteer all day Friday and Saturday and I have to agree with the comments so far "This was a GREAT event and it was well planned out". Thank You to the MWO staff, Hikers, volunteers and sponsors.

Having said that I agree with Kevin 100%. Volunteering all day Friday, attending the kick-off party at WDC, having to drive back to my campsite and knowing I had volunteering responsibilies all day Saturday. I did not attend the Concert in NC.

I know the Auto Rd folks had liability concerns about people leaving the After-party dinner and driving up the road to the summit but, a simple fix to that would be to block the road past the tents, not just at the toll house and put two volunteers there. With a beverage of course, they could still hear the concert.

Also Rex mentioned awards speficially for kids who hiked. I registered kids Friday night and they actually got their donations on their own. That in itself deserve acknowledgement.

Thanks for letting me be part of STP 10, my first volunteering opportunity and hopefully not my last.
    Club Member, Mt Washington Observatory
    ~ Everything happens in it's own time ~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BAXTERCA2 For This Useful Post:

fifteendays (08-10-2010)

Thanks

I too agree with Kevin's idea 100% about the concert. Saturday after the dinner would be an excellent time to kick back and listen to some music and chat more with each other. We decided after the Kick-Off Party to forgo attending the concert, knowing we had to get up at 3am to hit the trail in time.

STP is a great event, and I am sure it will be fine tuned as each year goes by.
    Last edited by Snow Miser; 08-05-2010 at 11:34 AM.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

i think the concert was just for the big 10 year STP so i dont think we need to have another one next year . we did have a good time going back to Kevins camp site and talking with every one there ,next time i will stay longer .
    the Kick-Off Party at the Discovery Center was a very good idea good food ,drink and people . the check in went very fast ,to fast i still had to hang around to say hi to people lol
    so now mater what you do i will still be there year after year
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Make the minimum online donation $5.00 or even $1.00. I am confident I could have raised an additional $1,000.00 if the minimum donation were less than $10.00.

BTW, the event was one of the best I have ever participated in. I was really impressed with the smooth check-in process and how helpful and friendly everyone was. I'll be back.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MOAB149 For This Useful Post:

fifteendays (08-10-2010)

Thanks

Smooth, that's because I checked you in.
    I'm kidding, everyone I volunteered with was friendly and very helpful
    Club Member, Mt Washington Observatory
    ~ Everything happens in it's own time ~

Thanks

Mitch checked me in. Now, how many times do you remember the name of the volunteer who checked you into an event, any event?