Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for STP '11

Thanks

i dont remember who checked me in as long as i got checked in
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! We're looking at making a few changes for next year, so your input has been very helpful. Cara is working on a survey that she will circulate to all STP participants, on the STP site and here in the forums. Keep an eye out for that and please continue to chime in with your feedback.

As for the concert, it was a lot of work, a lot of fun and a great way to "go big" and celebrate the tenth year of this amazing event. I don't think we'll be doing it again next year, but it was a memorable way to celebrate.

Three big things that we are wrestling with:

1. Growing the event while having an eye on the sheer volume of hikers out on the trails. 479 people hiked this year, and we're comfortable with that. We'll soon be consulting with the Forest Service to get their take on where we should cap this event, because stewardship is obviously a very important issue.

2. Maintaining the momentum and keeping it fresh every year. We've all done various events and the best ones are those that step forward each year in some way. Word of mouth is what has taken STP from good to great. There is now a great community of STP hikers and friends that has grown and we want to continue nurturing that aspect. We want everyone to do it again and again, so we need to focus on keeping it fresh and new.

3. Structural changes, such as one day vs. two days, earlier start to the after party, having a trailhead presence on both sides of the mountain, registration fee to offset expenses vs. higher minimum fundraising requirement, etc. Lots to consider here. The biggest challenge is that nearly 600 people registered and less than 500 did it. That's a lot of food, tables and chairs that were ordered for the after party that went unused and/or wasted. So we need to figure out a way to "lock people in" better so that registration carries a bit more weight. Many have also suggested having a trailhead presence on the west side, which we are strongly considering. We're also considering moving the fundraising requirement up a bit to manage STP's growth-- this may not happen in 2011, but it's been on the table for a couple of years. We're also thinking about having two days of hiking with Saturday's after party being the centerpiece of the event-- again, maybe not in 2011, but possibly down the road a bit.

So there's a few things to chew on-- feel free to post your comments and definitely complete the survey when it's available.

Thanks again for everything! We're edging closer and closer to the $200k mark, as late pledges trickle in. What an accomplishment! Thanks!!

My best,
    Scot
    MWO Staff

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fifteendays For This Useful Post:

BlueDog (08-11-2010), Charlie (08-11-2010), CHRIS (08-11-2010), MOAB149 (08-11-2010), Snow Miser (08-11-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fifteendays View Post
    The biggest challenge is that nearly 600 people registered and less than 500 did it. That's a lot of food, tables and chairs that were ordered for the after party that went unused and/or wasted. So we need to figure out a way to "lock people in" better so that registration carries a bit more weight. Many have also suggested having a trailhead presence on the west side, which we are strongly considering.

My best,
    Scot
    MWO Staff
    the extra 100 people that did not make it to the dinner did they get to the $100 min ? thats why i put in the first $100 my self to cover the cost of the food and to get my goodie bag
    as far as having a 2nd trailhead presence they should start at 4 am thats when a lot of people are starting lol just kidding

i dont care what happens i still love helping the MWOBS out and having a good time with friends

good job every one

Thanks

The 2-day idea I think is worth considering. We had it this year in a small way. Some folks saw that Friday's weather was better and they hiked then. The interesting thing is some folks (like me) find it hard to hike up and down and be at the after party in time to get food - all in one day. So, we have opted to get a ride down. If we hiked on Friday and still had Saturday for the after party, it would work well for us. Some might go for a ride to the summit on Saturday to meet friends as they hiked - or do a small hike - or hang out. There may be a way of "endorsing" the 2-day concept a bit more by just publicly saying it is an option. But, still have the trailhead support be there only on Saturday for 2011. Then maybe do something more in 2012. I think we already have a foot hold in the 2-day event concept.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brad For This Useful Post:

Charlie (08-11-2010), CHRIS (08-12-2010), Snow Miser (08-12-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    the extra 100 people that did not make it to the dinner did they get to the $100 min ? thats why i put in the first $100 my self to cover the cost of the food and to get my goodie bag
    Charlie, it ended up that 479 people qualified for the event by hitting the $100 minimum, but we had no way of knowing whether any of the remaining 100+ people raised the money offline and were planning to just show up. So several Obs staff members actually committed the time to call each of those people to ask if they were indeed coming. A small number canceled, some said "Of course I'm coming!" and the rest never returned the calls. But there was just no way to know, and running out of food simply wasn't an option. We really had no choice but to prepare for the majority of them to be there.

By the way, are we all on board with the idea of bringing the turkey dinner back? It's comforting to know that our most vocal complaints were about the lack of turkey!

Scot
    MWO Staff

Thanks

I liked the BBQ dinner - and Hart's did a nice job with it. But, the turkey dinner they provide is awesome. My vote is still there for turkey.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I must say, Brad's idea of a 2-day event would be very nice. Perhaps even some type of modified 3-day. The Kick-off Party and registration could be on Thursday. Friday would be just for hiking, so we're not racing up and down the mountain, trying to make it to the dinner. Then Saturday would be a leisure day for checking out sponsor' booths, driving up the mountain, hanging out, etc. Finally, capped the day off with the dinner and awards ceremony. I know some don't have that much time to attend, but planning a year in advance it may be possible for most to work things out. Food for thought?
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

thanks Scot i would be willing to pay for my dinner to lock in the count .maybe have a dead line for people pay and to say weather they are eating
    this year the food was good and i like it better turkey but if more people want turkey then thats ok also as long as its good food i will eat any thing

Thanks

I too like the two day suggestion. I would have gone up on Friday for STP 2010. Wish I had gone up on Friday instead of Saturday. I would drive up the day I did not hike up. The dinner was great but I hate, really hate it when food is wasted and/or thrown away. I would be happy to paid a fair price for my meal and make reservations in advance.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MOAB149 For This Useful Post:

Charlie (08-13-2010)