Thread: sleeping bag?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default sleeping bag?

I am going to be replacing my 15 degree synthetic sleeping bag. Question is... do I stick with a synthetic or go with a 15 degree down this time? I'm always in either a tent, shelter, or lean to. What does everyone use for a sleeping bag when up in the whites?

Thanks

I'm not an expert, but I've gone through 3 bags myself trying to find the right one. Seems like the biggest question is that if you think you'll ever need to be concerned about wet conditions. If you like to hike in the rain, or sleep in places where it might get really damp, etc, then synth is the way to go without a doubt.

If you avoid the rain like the plague and pretty good about keeping your bag sealed up and your pack dry, then down.

I recently picked up a 15? Mont-Bel from backcountry.com and I finally have a bag that I really like. Its comfortable enough for those of us that can't sleep in a mummy shape bag, yet still compresses rather compact for a 15? synth. I'd highly recommend it.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

I'm with Bluedog. A 15 degree bag is mostly for around/above 32 degree trips and water and condensation can be a major problem (especially in the NorthEast). For a winter bag I hem and haw about down versus synth., but for 3 season bags I go synthetic.

Thanks

Sorry about the late answer. Some hikers making thier own bags came up with this and they are commercially available now. Down bags with all the loft on top and a sleeve on the bottom to slide in your pad. The thought is down has not much insulating quality when compressed like when you lie on it. So you have more down on top or you are buying less fill. These seem to be very popular in the Adirondacks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hague8 View Post
    Sorry about the late answer. Some hikers making thier own bags came up with this and they are commercially available now. Down bags with all the loft on top and a sleeve on the bottom to slide in your pad. The thought is down has not much insulating quality when compressed like when you lie on it. So you have more down on top or you are buying less fill. These seem to be very popular in the Adirondacks.
    Otherwise known as the brand Big Agnes sleeping bags.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

I have used the US Army's ECWS Modular Sleep System for years. I picked up a bunch of these for my Scout troop at Federal Surplus. We paid $35.00 each for them and have slept in these while inside tents in weather down to 10 degrees (F). The nice thing about these bags is they nest. Take all three and be protected to -30 degrees. Going on a day hike and want additional cover, then pack the outer Gore-Tex (Bivy bag) shell. Hiking in warm weather, pack the green, light weight bag. All three bags fit into an awesome crush sack that I've witnessed reduced to the side of a small throw pillow. Here is a link I found for the bags online. Good luck and happy hiking.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWB144-1.html

Cheers,
    Dave
    Last edited by MOAB149; 08-25-2010 at 05:38 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MOAB149 For This Useful Post:

BAXTERCA2 (08-25-2010)