Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose on Mt. Washington

Thanks

Default Moose on Mt. Washington

Exact location witheld even though I don't think hunters would go this far...

I went for an afternoon hike to photograph a particular patch of fireweed that I expected to be in bloom. About half way up the trail I heard a moose blow. I paused and then heard it again. Yay!!! Into the thick forest I went and found a huge cow and two new calves. I hung out with them and let mama get used to my presence. I followed them until I anticipated they would pop out onto a ski trail. This would be a great place to watch them and get a clear picture, so I swung around to the ski trail and waited until...

...they came out and for the next 3 hours I enjoyed them. I think the calves are both bulls judging by their behavior, but I don't know enough about that. They immediately started roughhousing around, rearing up and throwing punches at each other...

Here's a nice look at them learning to pin their ears and look mean...

It was great watching the kids play; it went on and on...

When mama tried to lay down and take a break they both ganged up on her...

boys will be boys...someone looks offended...

In this picture mama has just taken a right hook to the face. She wasn't fazed. I think she's used to it...

After a while they started to settle down and mama layed down again for a break...

Eventually it was time for rest. As soon as they laid down I did the same. I try to mimic their behavior as much as possible in an effort to get them to relax and accept my presence. So we were all laying around on a beautiful summer afternoon on Mt. Washington...

I've learned that this is the sleeping position. They lay down and rest often without sleeping. But when they sleep they lay their head back on their tummy. The calves are actually dreaming. This is the second time I've seen moose dreaming. Their bodies and faces were twitching just as a dog does when dreaming. It was a very special thing to witness...

Despite what some idiots say, moose are very aware of their surroundings. I was quiet as a mouse, watching them when all of a sudden they all looked in one direction yet I heard nothing at all. Something caught the attention of all three all at once, yet I didn't hear anything at all. They have very keen senses...

a calf stetches after a long nap...

Both calves got up and started grazing their way up the trail while mama stayed down. I started to follow the calves because I wanted a nice picture of them in the wildflowers. I called mama to come along and I wondered why she just stayed their as we went up the trail. I expected her to get up and follow, and being between her and the kids I kept an eye on an escape route into the trees, but she just watched the three of us go up the trail.

happy trails
    Last edited by forestgnome; 08-07-2010 at 10:33 PM.
    nature photography of the White Mountains
    by Patrick LaFreniere
    new site: www.pbase.com/myworld

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to forestgnome For This Useful Post:

CHRIS (08-07-2010), KathyC (08-08-2010), Moa57 (08-12-2010), Snow Miser (08-08-2010), VTJ (08-08-2010)

Thanks

Patrick these are absolutley amazing. They are such beautiful animals. I would love to sit there and watch them as you did. Thank you for capturing them and sharing them with us.

Thanks

Patrick ~ This set of pics and the story are just amazing. Thank you for sharing, you must of had a great time watching and taking the pictures. #9 as my favorite of the set.
    Club Member, Mt Washington Observatory
    ~ Everything happens in it's own time ~

Thanks

Absolutely staggering. What an experience.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Those are incredible...the interaction when they were lying down is fantastic. A few of those will do VERY well for you!

Favorites... #9 and the third from the bottom!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Fantastic shots! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Patrick you keep out doing your self with how you become one with them that they except you as one of them .i hope you can re join them again to see how the boys grow up
    thanks for taking us along with you on your family outing
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Awsome pictures, thanks for sharing them

Thanks

Patrick, they are fantastic photos! What an experience that must have been. Glad you're keeping the location a secret so you can hopefully get more photos of them later. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

I am just in complete amazment, Wow, Just Wow.

Great Photos and thank you for sharing it with us!!!