Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got back from the Arctic Ocean - Updated 8/14 with links

Thanks

Wow! I love these "off the common road" excursions. I've been wanting to do a trip similar to this up to Newfoundland for some time. Looks like an amazing trip.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    Wow! I love these "off the common road" excursions. I've been wanting to do a trip similar to this up to Newfoundland for some time. Looks like an amazing trip.
    Hmmmm, I will drive.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad For This Useful Post:

Charlie (08-10-2010)

Thanks

What a fantastic trip report...a dream of mine as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    We can obviously hop in the car and drive all the way to the North Slope of Alaska from anywhere north of the Darien Gap in Panama, but for an "east coaster" there is something strangely romantic about driving due north to Hudson Bay. All you need is a car.

Thanks again for posting.
    Bill, you every want to act on this...lemme know!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Newfoundland has been on my list, I've wanted to go to St John's and Cape Spear (I think it's the most Eastern point of North America (ok, technically Greenland is, but it's not easy to get there) and sea kayak out there.

I guess I have to plan a northern drive/kayaking trip as well now

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post

Thanks

Count me in! Maybe we can get Subaru to sponsor a caravan (ahem, an outback) road trip ;)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hobbes For This Useful Post:

Charlie (08-10-2010)

Thanks

How is it going through customs? Would they freak out if I had a couple gas cans, water, etc in the back of my truck?

Thanks

Count me in too! This would be a great trip.

Some years back we did a road trip with Newfoundland as our goal. We made it as far as Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia, then ran out of time, and cash, before taking the ferry to the island. :-( This was before the days of debit cards and easy cash withdrawals. Oh, and we weren't driving a Model-T either. Once the cash got low, it was time to head back.

One thing that was very nice was standing on the cliffs of Cape Breton and watching the Pilot Whales migrating out of the Gulf of St Lawrence.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
    How is it going through customs? Would they freak out if I had a couple gas cans, water, etc in the back of my truck?
    Kirk, use to go to Canada all the time, but haven't been going since a little before 911. It use to be very easy to cross the border in either direction, but now it might be a little harder. Plus, I'm pretty sure a passport is require now.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

yep you need a passport
    count me in on the trip when it happens ,we need a lot of planing for this but it would be fun with the people we have here
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

Snow Miser (08-11-2010)

Thanks

You guys should do this. Again, I highly recomend it. We had talked about how much easier it would have been if we had one or more people with us. The driving duties would have been better if we could have shared them.

A couple of quick links. There isn't a lot out there, but this should get you started.

http://jamesbayroad.com/index.html

http://www.creetourism.ca/

Those are probably the best at getting you started. There really isn't a ton of info out there. One of the best sources for Chisasibi was a PDF file for medical students who worked there. If anyone wants it, email me @ kbhrvt@yahoo.com.

I mentioned listening to Stella Bearskin's speech. She was running for chief. Well, we found her on Facebook and we sent a message... telling her how fortunate we felt to hear such a lovely speech and how much it touched us. Then asked if we could get a copy. She replied today and said she would with a catch. We had to share it with folks.

"Hi, wow

This is so awesome, Of course i will share my speech with you.
    Although i did not win the election, my elders the old people were the ones that actually asked me to run for Chief.

At first i laughed, but when i realized they were serious, i could not break there hearts, and say No, a second time.

I am a very spiritual person, i follow my customs, and cultural traditions.

The idea to run for Chief actually came to me in a Dream.....it was a dream i had over a year, and lasted a very long period.

I have 5 kids, whom i love so absolutely!! Never in my wildest dreams or in my long term goal planning did i ever plan to run for public office, as i was happy to live my life just raising my little family!! Anyway I actually cried when the elders interpreted my dream as that i have to run for office.

Anyway i know what it takes to become chief, as i hold a very important position in our local government. But i agreed to run, somehow hoping that i would not get in, how weird is that!! You probably didnt expect to hear that eh?

Anyway, the elders, and woman, and youth i spoke to encouraged me. I was told thru our traditional ceremony that i had to run, and give back hope to the people, and that the Truth had to be told, that i needed to wake people up.

Our elders think that the people are sleeping, and that someone needs to wake them up. They told me that I was given the gift to give back hope to the Community.

Never in my wildest dreams, did i ever think or expect to have an effect on anyone. Although you are not from Canada, makes it more special.

When i was 13 i traveled to United States trying to convince the Americans not to buy a contract from Hydro Quebec. It took us over a month to finally travel to New York on Earth Day back in 1989, i think was the year, anyway it was an experience that had a great impact on my life, as it opened doors to my heart & mind to the world!! It gave me hope that the world can truly be a better place, and Yes New York State canceled his contract with Hydro Quebec!!

Anyway, i think it was you and your wife that have given me back HOPE that i can still make a difference in one or two peoples lives, your story make me feel so good that i did reach one or two people.

As the speech i made, i prayed to the creator that i can make an impact on one person, and i will have still succeeded with the campaign of Hope, that i need to inspire on people.

My wish and hope is that you can pass on that Hope to someone else, even if it is your family & friends, than the wish of my people, elders, and ansectors wish lives on in you and your carrying on of the torch of hope, that we can all live in a beautiful place once more for the future of the world!!

As my people have always taught me that we are all brothers, and sisters, from the same creator, regardless of race, religion, nationality, and sex. That we were all created Equal!!

Thanks,

You have truly made my day a wonderful one!!

Send me your email address, and I will send you my speech in hope, it will bring a little more sunshine in an often dark world, that is plagued with hate, war, and greed.

Much Love, Stella Bearskin"