Thread: What foods in your hiking pack?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default What foods in your hiking pack?

I was thinking this weekend, while packing my lunch for a day hike, how my choice of foods to bring along has evolved over time. Some food items, I have always taken with me on hikes where as others, I have seen other hikers eating and thought it would be a great item to have for lunch while hiking. In some of those cases, I have adopted them as normal items I bring along. So, my question to you forum members is what are your favorite food items that you consistently take on a day hike (not an overnight hike as I'm sure your choices would be different)?

This is what you can commonly find in my rucksack:

2 Clementine's (adopted)
    1 Banana (have always brought along - my wife substitutes in an apple)
    1 Peanut Butter Sandwich (have always brought along, but I experiment with different breads to mix it up)
    1 Small Bag of Chex Mix (have always brought along)
    1 Small Bag of Flavor Blast Gold Fish Crackers (adopted)
    1 Fiber One Bar (have always brought along)
    1 Small Bag of Trail Mix (the good, but bad kind from Target, with chocolate covered caramel balls, m&ms and cashews! very, very delicious)

Please understand that my wife and I share all of the bagged food and we typically carry food back with us too. I didn't want anyone out there to think I ate ALL of this food in one hike! I just ensure I have more than enough...just in case.

So what do you bring?

Karl
    Last edited by KSearl; 08-10-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks

Our trail food standbys generally consist of some combination of the following:

• Peanut butter and honey sandwiches or Fluffernutters.
    • Small jar of peanut butter with pretzels to dip in it
    • Apples
    • Cheese (either the Crackerbarrel individually wrapped, string cheese or Laughing Cow minns) These all last for several days just fine without refrigeration
    • Fruit and nut trail mix with either M&Ms or chocolate chunks
    • Granola bars or some kind of energy bars
    • Chex mix or chips (to go with the sandwich)

In the winter (or cold spring/fall days) we usually carry a thermos of lemon herbal tea with lots of honey in it. Great for warming up and an energy boost.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

In my pack, I usually carry the following:
    • peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
    • some type of trail mix
    • high energy sports bars
    • dark chocolate
    • dried fruit

Some of these items will vary depending on the length of the hike, but usually this is it. Great idea for a thread Karl!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

I have a few standards...
    1) Powerbars or Larabars
    2) M&M's or Peanut Butter Cups
    3) Trail Mix
    4) Cheese and Meat Logs (3 season not summer)
    5) Peanut Butter Sandwich or Tuna Salad Pouch
    6) Goo Shots

In autumn and winter, I chew sunflower seeds to ensure that I keep drinking...I tend not to otherwise in cool weather...

Also in autumn, I'm always with apple...well worth the weight!

My standard overnight meal has become Annies Mac and Cheese with pouch chicken or tuna mixed in, though Backcountry kitchen is usually good too!

Plus...I like foraging along the trail...lots to eat in the woods!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Sorry Jim, but I have to ask. What do you find to eat in the woods?

Also another question to ask anyone, I was wondering this and I think this would be a good thread to ask....
    I've been reading that there are a lot more bears coming out, we saw one last week on Passaconoway Rd. and one at our hotel too. Couldn't they smell the food on you while hiking and attack?

Thanks

Lots of stuff...roots, nuts, berries, leaves, shoots...anyone who has hiked with me has gotten a mealfull...

There are a number of books on foraging and wild foods...but it's important to REALLY KNOW what you are about to eat and make a 100% sure positive id. For that reason, I don't forage for mushrooms alone, even though there are some very good ones out there...the risks are too high, and I just don't know enough.

This time of year is getting close to pickerel weed seed season...cattails too...quick google search will fill ya in!

Alao, to get started...I like this guys youtube site:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/EatTheWeeds?feature=chclk
    Last edited by JimS; 08-11-2010 at 08:40 PM.
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KathyC View Post
    Also another question to ask anyone, I was wondering this and I think this would be a good thread to ask....
    I've been reading that there are a lot more bears coming out, we saw one last week on Passaconoway Rd. and one at our hotel too. Couldn't they smell the food on you while hiking and attack?
    Kathy - I've recently started hiking at night with food in my pack, and I don't worry about the black bears doing anything. I have yet to see one at night when they may be more active than in the day, I think, but if we run into one, I am sure they will try to avoid us. Here in PA, I would be more concerned with a small pack of coyotes giving us a hard time. I have heard them howling as close as what might be 100 yards away, but maybe they see the lights from our headlamps and just keep their distance.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set