Thread: Isolation

Thanks

Default Isolation

Any pointers on hiking Isolation? We're heading up Friday night, planning to hike Saturday. Any favorite trails (since it looks like there's a couple)? I think we're doing the 14.6 mile version, but am up to suggestions!

Thanks

Default Iso

Wait 'til winter! The bushwhack cuts a few miles and you traverse through beautiful, open birch glades for most of it! But seriously... we have done the Rocky Branch to Isolation to Davis several times. You can stay on the east side of the river to avoid a few of the crossings. You have to climb Engine Hill twice, once to get there and once to return. Yup, uphill both ways!

We took Dry River to Isolation once. A little longer, but seemed easier to me as there wasn't much elevation gain on the return.

The way I haven't gone but intrigues me is Glenn Boulder to Davis Path though there's a lot more elevation gain many go this way with a carspot at Rocky Branch so they don't have to return over Glen Boulder.

We've also backpacked it. There are several shelters and tentsites along the way and several at the junction of Isolation and Davis.

KDT

Thanks

To me, up Boott Spur Trail and then back via Glen Boulder Trail is "better" than Rocky Branch/Isolation. The woods route (RB/Iso) is nice and very gently sloped, but the BS/GB gives you a good workout (more vertical climb), while allowing a substantial portion of above treeline hiking including the views into Tuckermans Ravine (always a treat) and up to the summit cone of MW. The bonus with the BS/GB hike is that you can modify the route on the fly if the weather and views are particularly good and head to MW summit or just reroute down through Tuckerman Ravine. Either way there is no need to spot a car for this loop.

Or (like KD said) if you really like the RB/Iso route you can do the bushwhack in the summer!!! The birch glades are still an easy whack in the summer and there is plenty of evidence of wildlife in those woods (which you don't really see on trail).

Thanks

Thanks for the tips! I didnt consider boott spur. I think what we decided on was going up Glen Boulder and down Rocky Branch. Which of course means we have to hitch back to the truck. But the views win me over most of the time and it'll be nice to do a loop instead of an out and back. We'll consider boott, hadn't really thought of it. Now all I have to do is pray for great weather and great pics and figure out what I have to do to post pics with my TR!

Thanks

Another quick thought for you. Go up RB and down Glen Boulder and spot a bike at the GB trailhead. The ride down route 16 is all downhill and you'd probably be doing 20-30mph easily (so the bike ride would take 10 minutes).

Thanks

We would definitely vouch for Glen Boulder as we have done it different ways but found Glen Boulder route to be far better for views and variety, it is the way to go, as long as the weather is favorable. I know many talk about the elevation gain on the return (if you don't have a carspot at Rocky Branch), but did not find it difficult.
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.