Thread: Oh My Isolation! 8-21-10

Thanks

Default Oh My Isolation! 8-21-10

we decided to take the advise of many wise travelers and head up Glen Boulder and back down Rocky Branch. We left the truck at the RB trail head and bummed a ride up to the Glen Boulder Trailhead. We got picked up pretty quickly by a couple guys that had done the AT before and understood the hospitality! Turning out to be a great day already (as I didn't really want to walk 3.something miles uphill to the other trailhead). The sky was blue and the temp a little chilly, but great for a hike!
    We started out around 7:30am and found that the Glen Boulder trail should be called Glen Boulder and all the little 'boulders' he left behind. Pretty rocky, but par for the course. We came across a garbage bag full of canned goods hanging in a tree on the trail. I had never seen this before and couldnt' figure out why it was there. It had a piece of duct tape on it that said "Free Food". Strange. We got above tree line and the sky was blue, views amazing, and you could hear the crowds on Mt W cheering for what I can only guess was the bike race on Saturday, as we got passed by a bunch of cars full of people and bikes on our short trip up Rt 16 earlier. It was a great hike up to Slide Peak and I was surprised to realize that I was standing on the end of the Gulf of Slides! I had heard it and seen it mentioned many times but had been so focused on my goal of Isolation that I almost forgot that Slide Peak was almost 5000' and named so for the Gulf of Slides. I felt kinda stupid but amazed by it anyway. We continued up to 5100' and the trail junction for Davis Path. My leg muscles were twitching and didn't want to do this climbing thing anymore. I was surprised that I was so tired from just a short 3 miles, till I realized how much elevation gain we'd had and that we did essentially just hike a 5000 footer.
    We headed back down toward Isolation, a strange feeling- going down to your goal peak! But the trail over was great and we made good time (for us). We summited Isolation by 1:30 and tried not to think about the fact that we weren't even half way done yet! We got some great views and a homemade brownie from a fellow hiker! Such generosity today! Took a break and headed back down Isolation Trail and Rocky Branch Trail.
    I was super glad that we didn't come up Rocky Branch or Isolation and wasn't too happy about going down. It was muddy and rocky and boring (or maybe I was just exhausted and sick of rocks??) and I couldn't imagine what it was like during a wet season! The river crossings were simple, and by the time we reached the junc for Rocky Branch we were wiped out. We still had 4 miles left to go and had to try hard not to think about it! We made it down with tired feet but no worse for the wear. Very glad we hitched in the a.m. and didn't save it for the end! GReat day, phenomenal hike, really glad we did the loop we did!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addicted For This Useful Post:

Brad (08-23-2010), Snow Miser (08-23-2010)

Thanks

Great Trip Report. It sounds like it was a great day. I know what you mean about being wiped out with a portion left to travel. I feel as I start pushing myself to do longer hikes, I've been getting that feeling toward the end of the descents. Loops definitely help me get over this, knowing there is something new to look forward too. It sounds like the loop helped you with this as well. Great job.

Karl

Thanks

Thumbs up

A fine trip report. Isolation is still on our list and we always enjoy reading others take on the hike. It is an absolutely terrific feeling once you complete a long hike.
    As far as the "free food"; I would imagine that someone left it as trail magic for AT thru hikers.

Donna

Thanks

Default Photos from Isolation

IMG_1767.jpg
    From just above treeline
    IMG_1757.jpg
    Madison as our backdrop
    IMG_1777.jpg
    Looking back on Glen Boulder Tr
    IMG_1808.jpg
    Slide Peak
    IMG_1812.jpg
    Heading towards Isolation on the Davis Path
    IMG_1823.jpg
    Presidential Range from the summit of Isolation
    IMG_1831.jpg
    Mt Washington from the summit

Sorry these came out so small?? Still haven't got this quite figured out : (
    Last edited by Addicted; 08-25-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks

Very nice photos, they turned out great! Thanks for sharing.

Tip: if you're copying and pasting the link for a photo, look for the one that is the size you'd like to display. Most times medium is best. You can test it by pasting it in another browser window's address bar to see the size.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks