Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subarus

Thanks

Default Subarus

For some reason, Mrs. Hobbes wants to replace the '92 Civic (original owners!). Something about the cubs being more protected in a newer model. So, being loyal Obs' members, we're considering a Subaru. Given what appears to be a number of Subaru owners in these forums, this seems like a logical place to ask for advice. So here goes:

We're trying to decide between the Legacy & Outback. The front cabin of both appears to be the same, and even the overall length & width is nearly identical. So, other than the Outback's additional rear cargo space and roof rack, any major differences?

I keep reading about issues on the Outback with vibrating steering wheels and a less than comfortable driver seat. Anyone experience any of these issues? What year/model?

Did you purchase through the VIP program? Any pros/cons/issues?

Thanks!

Thanks

I am a Suby owner, but I have a WRX wagon so I cannot directly answer your questions above. I can suggest, however, if you are looking for a summary of specs that run the gamut of pricing (list, mfg, etc) to mechanical, of all Subarus, check out http://cars101.com That website is quite popular in the Subaru enthusiast community. I can also recommend a perusal of http://forums.nasioc.com/ This site is geared primarily towards the performance enthusiast but there are specific subforums for Outback, Forester, and Outback XT models.

I purchased my 06 brand new through the VIP program and had no hassles. Custom ordered right from Japan. (WRXs come from Japan, I think Outbacks come from a factory in the midwest) All accessories purchased and installed on the original ticket should be at the VIP program price. Let it be known, however, that another friend of mine who purchased an Outback went shopping before invoking his VIP program and it turned out that he got the car cheaper than what he would have had he used the VIP program. The dealer was just desperate to get rid of brand new but last-year's model of vehicle.

Hope this helps
    -Chris

3. The Following User Says Thank You to redthorne For This Useful Post:

hobbes (09-01-2010)

Thanks

We have lost count of the number of Subarus we have owned. It is all my wife will have - and it has to be an Outback. I love being able to know she can drive safely through any kind of weather and conditions - and she has. There have been times others could not drive up an icy hill and she just drove on through - no problem. The couple of Legacy wagons we had were a long time ago so our feedback would not be valid.

The 2010 Outback is bigger - more legroom - more headroom - more road clearance - and a significantly smoother ride with the new transmission. I have towed a trailer - no problem. Even with the 4-cyl there is plenty of power. Everyone who rides in it likes the smooth ride. Since January 1st I have over 20,000 miles on the car and love driving it. I see no problem with the driver's seat. Everything fits well and is comfortable.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad For This Useful Post:

hobbes (09-06-2010)

Thanks

We just purchased a 2011 Outback 331 miles ago. We have been getting 22.5 mpg city. We got the Prmium with the 4 cyl auto with the moonroof and Brad is right this engine is a peppy little engine. Could be due to the 4 valves per cyl. I had one issue which if you do a google search on it you will find it. Steering wheel shake and vibration.I sent it in last Friday to install the remote start and bug shield and they rebalanced all 4 tires. I can still feel it a little exspecially when going 65-70 on the highway and turning slightly. Other than that we love this car. As far as the MWO discount I saved quite a bit more when I went in to my local dealer and he still gave me the WMO discount which is basically between 2-3% off. I am just going to give the 100.00 on my STP page that the Obsevatory would have rec.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CHRIS For This Useful Post:

hobbes (09-06-2010)

Thanks

The main difference in the Legacy and Outback is the ride height. Outback is an "off-road" package of the Legacy. Unfortunately, this model generation, Subaru stopped bringing over the Legacy wagon. So, if you need a wagon, you have to get the Outback package.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueDog For This Useful Post:

hobbes (09-06-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS View Post
    can still feel it a little exspecially when going 65-70 on the highway and turning slightly. Other than that we love this car. As far as the MWO discount I saved quite a bit more when I went in to my local dealer and he still gave me the WMO discount which is basically between 2-3% off.
    How annoying is the shake? Any indication Subaru will do a recall given all the complaints?

So, did you negotiate a price, then they dropped it an additional 2-3%?

Thanks

First, I'll say this, my family has known nothing but Subarus as far back as I can recall. The first I remember is our white, double pin-stripe blue Yama Yagi model. That was, well, awhile ago.

Now my own family has a 2005 Outback Legacy Wagon with the Boxer turbo. I WOULD HIGHLY recommend getting a extended manufacturers warranty. We have had to use it twice within the first year of purchase (which was 2006) and it saved us $. Since then, getting its bugs cleared out, not a single problem, just routine maintenance. I swear by our Subarus, past and present.

As for the shaking around 65-70 on interstates, we do experience it, but is not a major issue. Most of the time I don't even notice it unless I think of it first. We have our Subaru balanced on a regular basis to prevent it.

Hope you enjoy your purchase!
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

Since I had it in and they rebalanced the tires it is considerablly better.There is still a small amount of vibration but very much tolerable. There is 2 TSB's out already and on some of them they still cannot get rid of the vibration and supposedly Sub. of America cannot figure it out. On one of the TSB's they put 14 hours labor into it changing the steering wheel,install a smaller spring in the Rack and do some kind of shimming in the motor mounts and some people say it did not help. I have a feeling there is some people out there that might just never be happy. We are fully happy with ours now and I will just watch and make sure it don't comeback.
    Here is some of the links I found the night our Outback went in and after reading it I did not get much sleep that night.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1f2a74/0

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ts-poll-5.html

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CHRIS For This Useful Post:

hobbes (09-07-2010)

Thanks

I have an '02 Outback H6-3.0 wagon. It's a great car, and you can't beat it for the snow. I think the newer models have more room, but at 6'1" my seat is all the way down and back. If I was any taller it would be cramped. My only complaint is the brakes. My rotors are constantly warping and the brake pads wear down much faster than they should.

We tried the VIP program with a trade-in and it was a disaster. They gave us a great price on the new car (great, but any good deal maker could get there too), but they totally screwed us on the trade-in. It was a deal breaker for us, but Subaru is still on the top of my list for a new car.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill O For This Useful Post:

hobbes (09-07-2010)

Thanks

We accept the VIP. I'm the sales manager at MetroWest Subaru if you ever need help!

VJ
    Think Snow