Thread: Nine miles in November?

Thanks

Default Nine miles in November?

Hey guys,

I'm going to be back in the White Mountains in November and I'm looking to bag a four-thousand footer or two. I've been looking into the Kinsmans and I'm considering Lonesome Lake Trail to Fishin' Jimmy Trail to South Kinsman and back. I've done a lot of summer hiking in the Whites and I know that wouldn't be too much in summer, but I'm not sure about late November. Any advice/personal experience with similar hikes?

Thanks

Late November can bring a variety of conditions in the Whites. We hiked Mt Avalon a few years ago on the last weekend in October and had snow from about 2500' up with nearly a foot at the summit. Last year we did Moosilauke on Nov 2nd and had warm sunny skies, no wind - the perfect day (better than many in summer). So.... watch the forecasts before your hike, be prepared and enjoy the best season of all!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

You never know what the conditions will be, but the Southern Whites especially the ones with a southern exposure will likely be snow free. Whiteface up the Blueberry Ledge Trail is a southerly exposure, Osceola from Tripoli rd is also South exposed. The rockpile was mostly snow free last November, but you can't count on that.