Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Franconia Ridge Loop Hike (September 2nd)

Thanks

Post Franconia Ridge Loop Hike (September 2nd)

Hi Everyone,

Jill and I hiked the Franconia Ridge on September 2nd, which was our 3rd wedding anniversary. We ascended Falling Waters Trail to Little Haystack, over Lincoln to Lafayette and descended Greenleaf and the Old Bridle.

The temp was about 90 degrees with decent humidity. Visibility was hazy at times but also clear at times. The hike took us 9.5 hours total (including all breaks) which I know is slower than average. However, this was a long hike by our standards so we were pretty tired by the end.

All in all, the views were phenomenal and we were not disappointed. A very detailed trip report and pictures can be found on my latest blog posting at Live Free and Hike NH: http://www.livefreeandhikenh.blogspot.com/

Below are some of my favorite pics from the trip:

Cloudland Falls

Jim Salge helped me identify this little bird (he thinks, based on the picture only) at the top of Little Haystack as a junco. After looking at some online, I think he is right!

Mount Lincoln from Little Haystack

Mount Flume and Mount Liberty (Left to Right) from Little Haystack

The Bonds...very exciting for me...I've never seen them before!

Owl's Head...Is the visible slide in this picture the slide trail??? Does anyone know?

Another question, this pond is on the northwest corner of Owl's Head, east of Lafayette. It is not on any maps??? Any ideas???

Glabrous Sandwort

Cannon from Lincoln

Lafayette from Lincoln

Awesome slide on the southwestern slope of Lafayette

Jill and I on the summit of Lafayette

Jill on the summit of Lafayette...just chillin

Simply put, this was really an incredible hike!

Karl

Thanks

Awesome pictures Karl! I like the labels too...now I can correctly label the Bonds in my own photos, haha.

Thanks

Awesome Karl! The pictures are fantastic. What a great way way to celebrate your anniversary too. Congrats to you and Jill on three years and best wishes for many more.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Awesome pictures Karl! I like the labels too...now I can correctly label the Bonds in my own photos, haha.
    OW2010 - Thanks...however, you're assuming I correctly labeled the Bonds in the first place...ha ha ha!!!

Awesome Karl! The pictures are fantastic. What a great way way to celebrate your anniversary too. Congrats to you and Jill on three years and best wishes for many more.
    Mark - Thanks very much. Hiking the Ridge was the best way to spend our anniversary!

Karl

Thanks

Haha, well I did double check with hikethewhites.com, but it was a starting point to figuring out what those mountains in my pictures were since I almost always find myself too lazy to look at a map

Thanks

Very nice TR and photos on your blog! I really enjoyed reading it. I wanted to do the very same hike on Sept. 5th, and know I really want to do it more. Happy Anniversary to the two of you.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Karl, first great pics. My wife of 30 years hiked this same trail 1 1/2 months ago. This was our third hike ever. The first three being, Sunapee, Kearsarge, and Willard. So this was a huge jump in trail challenge especially since we are in our 50's and not in hiking shape. This was complicated by myself having open heart surgery last Oct. This is this reason I took up hiking. I really enjoy doing it but it is hard for us because we are not in hiking shape yet. Hiking Franconia Ridge was a huge challenge for us. Our legs felt like rubber after 2 hours and it took us 10 hours total with breaks. To be honest I regretted doing it during the hike because we weren't trail ready but looking back I feel an immense since of accomplishment the next day that I was able to do this incredible hike. The views were incredible. Congrats on your 3 y anniversary and again nice pics.

Thanks

Bob, thanks for the kind words. Glad you liked the blog too.

D.B. Coop, Thanks. I know the feeling you are talking about. When you start to regret a hike because you feel you took on too much, but push through anyway, you are always happy you did. There is no better feeling of accomplishment than that. 10 hours is a pretty good time too!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Karl,
    Enjoyed reading your report on the blog and great pictures too. Don't sell yourselves
    short on being slow hikers. It's more enjoyable to pace yourself than make it into a race. A first aid kit is a must; we've had our share of minor and a few major mishaps over the years.

Donna

Thanks

Enjoyed reading your report on the blog and great pictures too. Don't sell yourselves
    short on being slow hikers. It's more enjoyable to pace yourself than make it into a race.
    Thanks Donna, appreciate it. That's our thought too...it's not a race...it's living life and enjoying the scenary.

Thanks again,
    Karl