Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trekking Poles Opinions

Thanks

Default Trekking Poles Opinions

Hello everyone. I have been using old ski poles or a good stick but I am ready to buy up. I am especially interested in hearing from people that have used both regular and anti shock type. Thanks!

Thanks

For a couple of years now, I have been using a pair of Eddie Bauer anti-shock poles that I bought at Target for $20 or $30. They have held up nicely, and have been up and down many mountains. One thing's for sure, I wouldn't do a moderate to difficult hike without them. They help save the knees, and have prevented falls quite a few times.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Hiking with our dog Nigel and holding on to his leash I can only use one pole,which is of the anti-shock variety but it has definitely been a big help especially on descent.

Thanks

i use the anti shock and would not hike with out them going up and more for going down
    the ones i have 3 sections so they close up nice and small to strap to my pack when i dont need them
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Hi there,

My wife and I have been using Leki Thermolite Antishock poles for a year now. They collapse nicely and are very light, which is great. The one thing I love about them is they have a concave, carbide tip, which grips even the smoothest of rocks. They have never slipped on me when I need to brace them. I did have a minor issue with the inner shafts corroding after using them in a rain storm. However, I found this was due to my lack of maintenance of them. They easily disassemble, and I should have pulled them apart to let them dry properly. Leki customer service replaced all the parts at no charge and gave me a lesson on how to maintain them properly. I've heard that they are really good with customer satisfaction. I was certainly satisfied.

Here's exactly what I have: http://www.leki.com/trekking/trekkingPole.php?pID=35

Thanks,
    Karl

Thanks

I've tried several different ones and finally settled on a pair of Black Diamond poles that I really like. They are the carbon fiber poles with the flip latches, so they are super light and stay put on the adjustment.

One previous set had the anti-shock feature and I don't really miss it with these. I also had numerous problems with the Leki style twist locks. Enough so that I wouldn't buy another pole like that again. The flip latch on the BD are solid, fewer moving parts and just works. However, I'll admit that there are people that swear by the other style, but they aren't for me.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

I use the REI Hiker light poles - with anti-shock. The thing I like about them is they are extremely light and the top ball unscrews to become a camera mono-pod.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Leki Makulas

We've been using Leki Makula's for 20 years now. Features also include the carbide tip, anti-shock system, 3 part-twisting collapsible system and interchanging baskets (great for hiking in the snow). The poles have saved a lot of wear and tear on our knees over the years.

Donna

Thanks

We have two pair of REI Shocklight Ascent poles that are now in year 4. I had to replace the expanders on one set and the carbide tips are pretty well worn but overall they've held up great over a lot of miles. Personally I don't care for the anti-shock system and would rather that they stay locked out. While these do have the lock out feature they tend to keep switching themselves back to anti-shock mode. Not a big deal.

Like Donna said, the switchable baskets for winter are good to have (we just leave the summer ones off). One thing to consider is what kind of grips are comfortable for you. There are lots of shapes and materials (foam, hard plastic, rubber, cork) and it's worth checking them all out and seeing what feels good. Make sure that they have nice wide straps with good padding as well or your wrists can get pretty irritated.

Finally, if I were buying new poles now I think I'd go with one of the models with the flip type locking system rather than the twist type. Seems more secure and less likely to either jam or worse, slip at the wrong time.

One thing is for sure, pole are going to make things a whole lot easier on your knees. I don't think I could do many of the hikes we've done without them.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Great responses. Lekis and REI seem to get 2 thumbs up. I have talked to people that like Black diamond. I will look for the flip type and THANKS! for the heads up on drying them out.