Thread: Mt Jefferson- 9/11

Thanks

Default Mt Jefferson- 9/11

Mt Jefferson (x2)
    5712 ft
    Caps Ridge Tr. 5 miles RT
    Sept 11, 2010

This is the 2nd year we did ?Flag on the 48?. Last year we did Eisenhower and Monroe and the clouds were so thick you could barely see the flag in front of you, let alone any kind of view. We're not officially part of the 'flag team', but find it's a great way to honor 9/11.

We decided to do Jefferson this year, as we?re still at the point where we think it would be cool to see other flags on other summits. Uncle Rick hasn?t done Jefferson yet, and Melissa wasn?t crazy about doing it at all, but I agreed to give it another go round. It would be my 4th trip to the mountain, only my 2nd visit to the summit however.

We once again got lucky with the weather, as we had another near perfect day. I still can?t believe out luck this summer! We were mostly cloud free the entire day, with short periods of clouds passing over the summits (a very strange thing to see as they move over/through you!). We had great views of Washington, the southern presi?s, and Adams, Not to mention everything else that you can see from up there!

You could see and hear the trains summiting all day, and I still prefer the old school smoky engines and eerie sounding whistles. I know they switched them over for a reason, but they older I get, the more I like the way things used to be.

We started out around 9 at the busy trailhead. Because it was a short hike, we didn?t have to start out quite so early, which was nice. We made a quick (for us) first mile up to the overlook and took a few pics and continued on. So far so good.

We started getting to the larger rocks in the trail and I knew the 1st cap was coming soon. Melissa was starting to dislike the scrambles over some of the rocks that had large gaps beneath them or between them. She was expecting the worst and wasn?t looking forward to the Caps as much as I was.

We rounded the first cap and made it up and over without too much difficulty. Melissa wasn?t having as much fun and Rick and I, and as we headed for the 2nd Cap, I saw the nice steep section that I remember from my last couple visits to this mountain. Anyone who?s been there knows the large, steep, slabish section of rock that has little easy options. There?s mud and roots on one side, and some cracks and ledges one could use, but she didn?t like any of the routes ahead of her. Uncle Rick went up first and waited. I went up and over to the other side and waited also. Melissa started up but made the mistake of stopping to think a little too much about her next move and couldn?t find one she was comfortable with. She was clearly out of her comfort zone, although we knew she was capable and could do it. She was frozen with fear, although she was only 10 feet off the ground at this point. We talked her through it, as she clawed at the mud and couldn?t find a good foot hold below her. She started to hyperventilate a bit, and I had never really seen anyone have a panic attack on a mountain before. It took her a while to recover from her ordeal, although she continued up to the top of the section with little issue.

She said it was the scariest moment of her life so far. We started planning a safer route for her to go down, since she clearly didn?t like these Caps. I didn?t see the slab being any easier on the way down.

We continued up the mountain, trying to make light of her ?ordeal?, and I think it became clear later on that the slab was the only real hard part of the hike.

We headed up the summit cone and Melissa was on a mission to ?just get there?. She got quite a lead on Uncle Rick and I, as we stopped to enjoy the views and catch our breath. Much to our surprise the wind was on the other side of the summit, so we were virtually wind free on that final push up to the top. We caught Melissa once the rocks got bigger and more ?rough?. We all summited together, and there was a pretty large crowd on top. There really isn?t a right or wrong way to the actual summit at this point, so we picked our way through the crowd and stood with the flag for our photos.

On the actual summit, there was plenty of wind! Adams had a cloud mass moving over it, which bummed me out. We quickly moved back down to the flat spot just below the summit, opposite the flat spot with the giant cairn. There was sat in the sun, ate lunch, and enjoyed the views and the nice temps without the wind.

I can never fully relax on a summit, since I have to keep getting up to look around and take photos. Rick and Melissa relaxed and I wandered about. Adams cleared, as did all the summits. One woman was turning 50 and a cake was brought out to celebrate and we all sang happy birthday to her. We spend the better part of 2 hours on the summit, then decided we needed to get off this thing sometime.

We started the trek down, along with a fairly big group of hikers. We all rested at the trail junction just below the summit cone and everyone decided to head for the caps at the same time. There was a small traffic jam at the start of the 3rd Cap as someone went to check the ? trail to nowhere? that might lead around instead of over the Cap. I went over and waited on the other side for Melissa, but had to wait for all the others to come over first.

We headed back over the Caps and down the steep slab. Melissa didn?t do much better on the way down, but didn?t have a panic attack. One woman was in a hurry to get around and headed down the mud and roots way, only to lose control, dislodge a rock that headed straight for me, and almost took me out. I thought she was going to hit me too. I only had a few more well plotted moves before I would have been out of the way.

We stopped at the overlook on the way down and soaked in the sun. We somehow managed to turn a short hike into a really long day, but it was worth it. We went home tired but happy. My second successful summit of Jefferson was a great day.

Thanks

Great TR! Sounds like you had a lot of fun, despite a few challenging moments, but in hindsight, I think that's the allure of hiking.
    Caps Ridge is a hike I'd really like to do...hopefully in the spring/summer next year.

Would love to see your pictures from this hike if you could post them.

Thanks

yes, I'll definitly try to post some soon. I haven't even had a chance to download them yet, and I'd really like to see them! Maybe tonight!

It's a great hike, if the weather is good. You should definitly do it if you have a chance! I thought it was fun and you don't have to be on any kind of time schedule like a longer hike!

Thanks

This is a great report! Sounds like a good trip. I've had the feeling of getting stuck on the side of steep slabs before and being very worried about what to do. You feel like you can't go up and you can't go down. The difference was, we were the only people on the trail and the person I was with was equally as scared...which is a horrible combo. Sounds like you guys are pretty seasoned, though, and did a great job in talking her through it. Also sounds like a pretty well beaten path, so there are always fellow hikers to help out if needed.

So I have a stupid question. What exactly are the caps? We drove up Mt. Washington last weekend (what trip that auto road is for a first timer!!!) and saw Jefferson in the murky clouds. That view of it, makes me want to climb it in the worst way. I was looking at the Ridge of the Caps Trail for the ascent too...but didn't realize these were tough obstacles. I was hoping you could describe exactly what they are?

Again, awesome TR. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Karl

Thanks

Talking

Karl,

I'll hopefully be able to post some pics tonight, I have some good ones of the "caps". They are really just big piles of big rocks that you have to scramble over/around since they are in the middle of the trail (on a ridge, so you don't have any other way). It's hard to follow the trail, since it's all big rocks. I'm talking big piles too. But they really aren't that challenging, just a lot of scrambling and work. There's lots of handholds for the most part, you just have to think a little at times. But there are 3 Caps, and you get over them pretty quickly. It's one of those '3 section' trails... The beginning- a standard rocks and roots climb, The Caps- a series of fun scrambles, and The summit- a long .4 miles of much less friendly rocks, harder on the hands when you have to grab hold. But overall, I like this mountain. I'll probably be back. Again.

Thanks

Here are some pictures from last weekends hike up Jefferson.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Thanks

Great pics and TR! You guys definitely had quite the adventure. A bit more that hoped for in some ways I'm sure. Jefferson by Caps Ridge has been #1 on my list of "next 4Ks" for a while although the opportunity hasn't presented itself so far this year. I was a bit leary of the caps for a while but I think I got past that doing the slide on Tripyramid last month. Now all we have to do is find a day as picture perfect as last Saturday was (no easy feat). Great picture on the summit with the "sun halo". Thanks for sharing a great story.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Very nice TR and photos. Really enjoyed reading it. Jefferson will have to go on my list too. Thanks for sharing.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

I definitely recommend it! Caps Ridge is great, I had a ball! You are exposed a lot, so a perfect day is a must. If the wind had been on our side of the summit going up it would have been pretty chilly. Good thing is that there's a flat (ish) section just below the summit on both sides, so you can generally get out of the wind. I had a hat on after the 3rd cap when we were in the wind, but didn't need it once we started the summit cone. Sorry I haven't quite got posting the pics down right, but at least you get an idea. Great trip!

P.S. I think the Caps seem are more intimidating than they really are. But a good dose of respect never hurts.