Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washington, Monroe and Franklin with my daughters (Alex and Sage), Sept. 9-11, 2010

Thanks

Hi Mark, thank you. You've been a great source of online support this summer, and I appreciate it.

Sage is funny, she is very specific about which mountains she wants to hike. She recently mentioned that she wants to do Cannon -- in winter. She wants to winter hike up, drink hot chocolate in the building at the top, and slide down. That's the only one lwe haven't yet done that she says she wants to do, though over time, she might add to her wishlist. Alex keeps talking up certain peaks including...Owls Head. For some reason, Alex thinks Sage would love Owls Head. I'm not so sure about that one, but we may end up doing it at some point just to satisfy Sage's inevitable curiosity.

It is nice to see Alex and Sage out there together, I agree. They make a good team and enjoy each other's company on the trail, for the most part. There is sometimes sibling static. For example, I lost patience and hollered at Alex on the way up Washington's summit cone..she kept trying to push past Sage, who wanted to go first. I told her to knock it off or we'd turn this hike around right now and go back to the hut. I'm standing there in 40mph wind, my outer layers soaking wet, loudly fussing at my 7 year old because she keeps trying to push past my youngest. Alex is sitting on a rock glaring at me, Sage is making eyes at Alex through her balaclava. That kind of thing. But, for the most part, they enjoy being with one another and they laugh a lot.

Hi Karl, thanks for your kind words. This is the first time I've counted how many peaks we've done for Trailwrights -- I figure it's going to take us a long time, so I haven't bothered keeping score. However, I tallied them up and we're now at 37 (you can only count one peak per hike, no doubling up allowed). This weekend we might get number 38, we'll see.

Thanks

[QUOTE=TrishandAlex;43560]
    It is nice to see Alex and Sage out there together, I agree. They make a good team and enjoy each other's company on the trail, for the most part. There is sometimes sibling static. For example, I lost patience and hollered at Alex on the way up Washington's summit cone..she kept trying to push past Sage, who wanted to go first. I told her to knock it off or we'd turn this hike around right now and go back to the hut. I'm standing there in 40mph wind, my outer layers soaking wet, loudly fussing at my 7 year old because she keeps trying to push past my youngest. Alex is sitting on a rock glaring at me, Sage is making eyes at Alex through her balaclava. That kind of thing. But, for the most part, they enjoy being with one another and they laugh a lot.

Hey Trish,
    I think it's called sibiling rivalry something that you nor I ever had to contend with growing up.

Donna

Thanks

Trish you really should write a book on hiking with kids. You have so much insight and knowledge on hiking with children. There are so many families that would love to hike with their kids but are so afraid to bring them up into the high peaks because of their lack of experience and knowledge. Trish you are so on in everything you do with your daughters when it comes to bringing them up into the high peaks. Your daughters are lucky to have you as a mom. Really enjoyed your last trip report from Lakes. Ammo can be a bit tricky when it is wet. Look forward to your fall trip reports.

Thanks

Rockin Rex, thanks for your kind comments. I'll respond more fully to what you wrote in about a week.