Thread: Flags on the 48 Mount Carrigain 9/11/10

Thanks

Default Flags on the 48 Mount Carrigain 9/11/10

On Signal Ridge

Carrigain 4700'

Signal Ridge Trail

10 Miles 3300' Elevation gain

Skip, Liz, Allison, Eric, Erich, Paul, Michael, Sabrina, Terra, Beth, Steve, Skipper, Kayla, Anthony and Ernie and Friends, Jeremy, Mark, Patrick, Val, Fran, Karen, Clay, Kevin, Judy and Emma and a host of others including Boy Scout Troop from Easton, Massachusetts.

I am thankful that we have been blessed with the chance to hike with such a great group of people. Who better to commemorate this most solemn of occasions? When you stop to think about the freedom we all share that allows us to do such things, then there is all the more to be thankful for. It is also wonderful to think that enough people want to remember this tragic day in history by taking the time out of their lives to carry the equipment needed to fly the American flag on each of New Hampshire's 48 four thousand footers. Again, the hiking community shines!

Old Glory on Mount Carrigain

Not only did we have a great hike with great people, we had a spectacular day to do it. Despite the long chug to the base of the mountain, and then the long chug along seventeen or so switchbacks to the top of Signal Ridge, I hardly broke a sweat in the cool, clean September air. The views were spectacular in every direction and I spent my time trying to pick out each of the 43 other 4ks viewable from Carrigain along with the dozens of other peaks that were visible under a cloudless, azure sky.

Classic view Northeast from Carrigain

I tried to imagine the summits of the other peaks with groups like ours hoisting the red, white and blue high above the highest crag on each peak. I wondered if the other summits saw as many folks as we saw on ours. I would guess that over a hundred stepped foot on the summit of Carrigain while we were there. An amazing turnout I thought.

Back on Signal Ridge

It is great to hike with people that I don't get to see nearly enough and to know that despite all we may go through between our hikes together we still share the common bond of our love for the White Mountains. Thanks to all in our party who volunteered for this effort, organized and executed and invited the rest of us along to share in the day. Thanks to all who dreamed up this yearly remembrance, and to all those who have joined in over the years to make this dream a reality. We show our remembrance a little differently in the mountain community. It is so we never forget...

Carrigain Crew

Complete set of pics HERE:

KDT

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KD Talbot For This Useful Post:

BAXTERCA2 (09-14-2010), Mackmom (09-14-2010)

Thanks

Really phenomenal pictures and looks like a great group! Love the picture looking up at the flag into the sky.

Thanks for sharing.
    Karl

Thanks

Default Thanks!

Thanks, Karl! A great event each year. I'd have to put it 2nd behind Seek the Peak! If anyone has a chance next year join or organize a team:

http://flagsonthe48.org/

or, just hike that day to any mountain and join in!

KDT

Thanks

Great photos Kevin! The group shot came out really nice. I do plan on joining a team next year! Thanks for sharing.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Another wonderful set of pictures and account of a fantastic day Kevin. I haven't yet gotten tired of seeing all the images of the flags flying on Signal Ridge and on the summit against that amazing sky. It absolutely broke our hearts to have to cancel last weekend and not be able to be there with you all. We're so glad that you guys had such a great day. Hopefully it won't be long till we'll be back up there and will attempt to find an equally great day and great peak (albeit without the flags).
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Default Missed you guys!

We missed you Mark and Nat! Very disappointed when we heard you wouldn't make it. Well, lots of autumn left. Best time to hike! Hope to see you soon!

KDT

Thanks

Thank you for those great pictures Kevin.It looks like you had a perfect day with a wonderful group of people.