Thread: Hiking Maryland Heights and Harpers Ferry 10/2/10

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Hiking Maryland Heights and Harpers Ferry 10/2/10

With the forecast of ?fall like? weather, we decided to venture out to one of our favorite hiking spots; Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. This area appeals to us for several reasons: the Appalachian Trail, the C & O Canal and the history surrounding the town of Harpers Ferry during the Civil War.

We hiked the steep trail to the summit of Maryland Heights where remnants of the old fort still stands. One can only imagine what life was like for the soldiers manning the batteries which occupied the summit.

After enjoying a snack and talking with fellow hikers we continued along the ridge and then descended to the cliffs that overlook the town. With the cool temperatures and sunny skies there were a lot of people sitting near the cliffs enjoying the view below.

We then proceeded down a herd path to Sandy Hook Road and then over the pedestrian bridge which spans the Potomac River. Once we arrived in town a stop at the local ice cream shop for some soft frozen custard seemed appropriate.

Knowing that Jibitz (aka. Mary Ellen; MEB) passed through here the first week of June we walked up the steep walkway along Potomac Street, and the many historic houses, to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. Flipping through the thru hikers album we did in fact find Mary Ellen?s official picture.

Since it was still early we decided to hike thru the old campus of the former Storer College, which is now owned by the National Park Service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storer_College

This blue path eventually meets up with the Appalachian Trail. Passing Jefferson Rock and then walking through the lower section of Harpers Ferry we once again crossed over the old railroad bridge (now used by pedestrians) and back into Maryland. We estimated the total miles for the day to be 7 miles.

Slideshow:http://jimmylegs.smugmug.com/Nature/...31268509_tYZTQ

Mike and Donna

Thanks

Looks great Donna! And any hike that ends with ice cream can't be bad ;-) Some "fall hiking down south" seems pretty good, but are you going to get back up north again this fall too?
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

I don't remember the application for permit to hike in my backyard being submitted... hmmmm Maryland Heights is a great hike.

You familiar with Loudoun Heights? I didn't know it was there until this year. From the Maryland side, if you look across the river, you'll see where the power lines go up the rock slide. Loudoun Heights loop will take you to the top of that for another great view of Harpers Ferry.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    I don't remember the application for permit to hike in my backyard being submitted... hmmmm Maryland Heights is a great hike.

You familiar with Loudoun Heights? I didn't know it was there until this year. From the Maryland side, if you look across the river, you'll see where the power lines go up the rock slide. Loudoun Heights loop will take you to the top of that for another great view of Harpers Ferry.
    We do know about Loudoun Heights and have done it several times. As a matter of fact last year we combined the loops of both Maryland and Loundon Heights which I believe was about 11 miles. The trouble with the Virginia side is that you are walking along the busy Route 340; however, the walk over to Maryland (from Virginia) over the Route 340 bridge is a bit nerve racking because of the closeness the walkway is to the traffic.

Thanks

Mark. Thanks.....It's a ritual with us to reward ourselves with a soft ice cream after a Harper's Ferry Hike.
    Michael had a cataract removed from his right eye this morning and has to lay low (no strenuous activity for the next week and also off work all next week too), but as long as all goes well with the healing process we are out of here on October 21st for a week in the White Mountains. Do you have any plans for heading up anytime soon? We have a few 4000 footers in mind.

Erich,We couldn't locate the box for the application. Still need to catch with a hike together one day.

Donna

Thanks

This hike looks like a really nice one Donna and Mike, especially with all the history surrounding the area. Thanks for sharing!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set