Thread: Is it just me?

Thanks

Default Is it just me?

Over a week has gone by now and I am still on the mountain. I think it may take a month or so to come down. A true natural high. How long does it take you?. I'm thinking maybe a week or two doing the Old Jackson to the Nelson Crag Trails. Can anyone tell me a little about this rout?

Thanks

Old Jackson up to Nelson Crag Trail is not very steep and fairly easy footing. Even barefoot would be pleasant with the leaves on the trail now. I haven't done Nelson Crag Trail except for from Huntington Ravine Trail up to the summit. The rocks on that section are sharp and not very worn down in spots...might be tough on the tootsies. The trail is also along the ridge at the top and very exposed to the wind that blows from the West. You can always bail and take the road if the Nelson Crag Trail is too much though...in some places the road is cut into the terrain and can provide some shelter even in the oncoming winds.

I'm interested in this barefoot thing you've been doing. Why did you start and what level (distance) did you start with? I have done short walks in the snow and wouldn't mind toughening up my feet (like when I was a kid).

Thanks

Thank you for the trail info Mahony. My friend and I will be heading back up the weekend of the 16th. Our rout has changed to the Boot Spur, Davis Path, Lawn Cut-off, Tuckerman Ravine to Summit. Getting a view of the Ravine we would like to do in the spring.

The barefoot thing I started long ago in everyday walking. Never really gave it much thought. I walk this mountain barefoot for personal satisfaction in hopes of being one of the few to hike and summit every trail in just skin.

Making yours tougher, lets see, find yourself a gravel or shell driveway-path and start walking. Just try not to jump off the edge on the grass. At times it is mind over matter. LOL. I would advise packing your shoes with you, just in case. Walking toe to heal will allow you to feel things that may hurt you before your weight is on that foot. This takes a little practice. It is a stalkers walk. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a glass or fire walker. Not so say I wouldn't give it a go. Just a hiker with a mission. These days its tough to find anything too be the first at.