Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mt Willey, Field and Avalon- 10/9/10

Thanks

Yeah, the summit of Willey is just a cairn. Coming from the Field side you can tell it's the height of land there, but it helped to have a group hi-fiving on the summit! East Osceola was the same way...If not for other people pointing it out, we could have easily walked right past it.

Thanks

Great TR. I definitely want to get Tom, Field, Willey and Avalon next year. I keep hearing such great things about Avalon. It sounds like it was really nice day, with the exception of the trek over to Willey. Based on the 1/2 mile steep section up to Avalon, how would you think going down it would be? I've always wanted to do a Tom, Field, Avalon loop in that order, which would end up making you go down that 0.5 mile trail.

Thanks,
    Karl

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KSearl View Post
    Great TR. I definitely want to get Tom, Field, Willey and Avalon next year. I keep hearing such great things about Avalon. It sounds like it was really nice day, with the exception of the trek over to Willey. Based on the 1/2 mile steep section up to Avalon, how would you think going down it would be? I've always wanted to do a Tom, Field, Avalon loop in that order, which would end up making you go down that 0.5 mile trail.

Thanks,
    Karl
    I did Avalon-Field-Tom, which is just the reverse of what you want to do. I don't think it would be much harder either way. There's only one approach to Tom, and coming down from Avalon wouldn't be a problem either. The longest stretch is between Field and Avalon, but it's all pretty reasonable.

Thanks

That stretch of trail isn't really anymore difficult than your normal steep rocky pitches. It's really not that bad, in comparison to some other things I've seen. I took a spill on a downhill section of the Ammo on wet rock that I was very confident with, so it makes me more leery now than I used to be. I fell with my whole body weight on my elbow and somehow lived to tell about it! Down steep sections tends to be our toughest hiking issue, but for the average Joe I'm sure it's not difficult. My other 60 something year old hiking partner has no issues on these sections and usually charges on ahead and just waits for us on a rock downtrail : )