Thread: Mount Potash 10-09-10

Thanks

Default Mount Potash 10-09-10

Hi Everyone,

Headed up the Kanc on 10-09-10 with a buddy of mine to hike Mount Potash. My buddy Sean had never hiked in the Whites before and this was his first mountain. I was pretty proud of him as he came extremely prepared with everything to told him he should bring, plus more. Few first time hikers are as prepared as he was...I know I certainly wasn't on my first hike.

We arrived at the trailhead at 8am and to my surprise, were the first ones in the Downes Brook parking lot. I wasn't sure what to expect on the Mount Potash Trail since I knew it wasn't a real "popular" mountain. I found the trail extremely well marked with crisp yellow blazes and directional arrow signs all over. However, the maintanence of the trail with regards to the clearing of trees was a bit lacking. I estimate we had to hop probably 15 trees...some more difficult than others.

There was a little bit of everything on this trail. The Downes Brook crossing was a bit tricky since the brook itself was as wide as a river and running pretty swiftly. However, a good set of trekking poles and gortex boots certainly made the crossing very feasible. The hike up brought us through a hard wood forest and then a hemlock forest. The footing ranged from rocky to rooty to slabby.

The first viewpoint was on a southeastern ledge that provided nice views of a foliage covered Mt. Chocorua and Mt. Passaconaway. It was a great place to get out of the northwesterly winds and have a snack. The second half of the trail, after the first viewpoint, went by very quickly. The footing was a little rough, but nothing too tough. The last push up to the summit was the steepest part, climbing slab rock all the way. Certainly nothing too crazy, but could be tricky if it was wet.

The summit was great. On the southern side, there were good (but a bit restricted) views of Passaconaway and the Tripyramids. The real good views were to the northwest, though. Unfortunately, the wind was blowing hard enough that I couldn't get the map out to checkout what mountains were in view. From looking at the map afterward, I suspect we were looking at the Handcocks and Carriagain, but I can't be sure.

A more detailed trip report is posted on my blog. Check it out if you have a few minutes: http://livefreeandhikenh.blogspot.co...-in-white.html

Here are some pictures from the hike:

Mushroom on the trail

Mt. Passaconaway from the first view point

More mushrooms

Trees across the trail

Mt. Passaconaway, just before the slab push up to the summit. You can see what I think is the old Downes Brook Slide Trail, which was shut down many years ago for being dangerous, now known as the bootlegged Passaconaway Slide Trail...Info on it here

Lichen

Tripyramids

View to the northwest from the summit. Any help identifying the peaks in this photo would be appreciated??? Hancocks maybe???

Another Mushroom

A timed photo of Sean and I on the summit. Congrats to him on his first summit.

4.4 miles, in-and-out hike...Great views for little effort.

Karl

Thanks

Very nice photos and TR Karl! It looks like you guys had a great day to be out there. Will your friend be hiking The Whites with you again? They are addictive. Thanks for sharing!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Thanks Bob. Yes, I think he has the bug...I'm sure he'll be hiking again soon.

I'm not sure why, but I can't seem to figure out how to edit my posting right now. I know I have done it in the past, but can't find the "edit" button right now...it seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, the link above is no longer valid...I had some issues with the posting. My TR for this hike is now here: http://livefreeandhikenh.blogspot.co...-white_15.html

Thanks,
    Karl

Thanks

That's good. Another person who has The Whites Bug!

I'm pretty sure that the Edit Button goes away after what seems like 10 or 15 minutes. Not sure why it wouldn't stay active indefinitely for the person posting?
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Thumbs up

Karl,
    I couldn't get on the link earlier today but read your report thru Tom's blog. Your report provides a great deal of information on Potash and should be most helpful. Potash is still on the "list". After we hiked Hedgehog, we almost attempted Potash but it was late in the day and dinner was calling....

Donna

Thanks

Very nice Karl. Great introducing someone else to hiking in the Whites (and hiking in general). One you get out there the addiction happens quickly. The pics are beautiful and the report brought us right down the trail with you. Potash is one of the 52 with a View peaks that we haven't done yet. Your pictures from this day certainly show why it's on the list and one of the ones we're going to have to visit soon. Looks like a great winter hike too!
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Donna - Glad you were able to find it...I had major issues with the link and formatting. I think Hedgehog probably has better views than Potash, but Potash is definitely worth a day hike.

Mark - I agree...I know my addiction to it happened very quickly. Mine surely started on Welch-Dickey. I've been thinking more and more about 52WAV and wondering if I should start crossing them of the list. I probably have quite a few to cross off by now...more than the 48's for sure.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Karl