Thread: 1st Snow Hike! Starr King/Waumbek 10/16/10

Thanks

Default 1st Snow Hike! Starr King/Waumbek 10/16/10

Wet Start

Mount Starr King 3914' and Mount Waumbek 4006'

Starr King Trail

7.2 Miles 2650' Elevation gain

Kevin, Judy and Emma

Mother nature messed with our plans this weekend. There were a couple of hikes we would have liked to have attended with friends who were finishing various lists but when the forecast for Saturday dictated moving the hikes to Sunday we had to opt out because of other commitments. So, changing gears, we decided since we would be in the area that we would knock off one of the few remaining on our autumn list and pay a visit to old friend Mount Waumbek in the Pliny Range.

Cool Enough for Hot Dogs

We drove over from Gorham in a soaking rain which let up somewhat at the trailhead as we set out. We set out through wet leaves on trails that better resembled brooks. Before we were above the deciduous forest we met a young couple on their way down who warned of snow up above. They might have been a little surprised as a smile broke a mile wide across my face. I hadn't thought about there being any snow at these elevations. With the summits invisible behind heavy clouds we had no way of knowing beforehand.

Boreal Forest

We found the first traces of snow at about 2500' and by the time we entered the conifers at 2900' there was a good inch coating everything. We had gone from wet leaves and flowing water to standing water and mud to snow and mud as we rose a thousand feet in elevation. On the highpoint of Starr King I stopped to bundle up now that the bulk of the climb was done. I thought I heard a snort in the woods, but I put it off to imagination until on the return from Waumbek we could see from fresh tracks that a moose had followed us, though we never saw him.

Jack Frost's Work

This had been a good pick for a day like this where there would be no views anywhere for most of the day. Mother Nature made it up to us for changing our plans by providing lovely views of boreal forest frosted and beautiful on a viewless ridge. Despite boot-sucking mud along the trail our surroundings were enchanting enough to drive complaints about trail conditions out of our minds. As we returned to Starr King we met several groups on their way to Waumbek. Hope they enjoyed their surroundings as much as we did!

Snow Graffiti

Complete set of pics HERE:

KDT

Thanks

beautiful pics

glad you had an enjoyable first snow hike for the season
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

Sure feels early for snow, particularly when it was mid-60's and the perfect fall day in RI today. We did Starr King and Waumbek as our last winter hike of the year last year and celebrated the entrance of spring on our way back over Starr King. Seems to be the place to be for the changing of the seasons - either by calendar or by Mother Nature. Love the graffiti pic! I'm betting that you've got one very happy snow dog on your hands now too that's going to be looking forward to lots more of the white stuff.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Very nice pictures, welcoming the start of another winter season.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Kevin,

Great pictures. The light snow cover is perfect. I love the picture entitled "Sugarbush" on your album. Cool that you found the benchmarker too...It looks like it is made out of brass...I've never seen a brass one before. Typically stainless steel I believe.

Thanks for sharing,
    Kalr

Thanks

Thumbs up

Everything looks so pretty with that fresh coating of snow.Looks like Emma was having a blast.Thanks for the start of the Winter hiking photos.

Thanks

Default Thanks!

Can't wait to get back out there! We appreciate the positive feedback!

KDT