Thread: Mount Katherine 10-10-10

Thanks

Default Mount Katherine 10-10-10

Hi Everyone,

Jill and I hiked a very small peak just south of Mount Passaconaway called Mount Katherine. Found this one on the map and it looked like an easy day hike. It is only 1,380' high and climbs only 240' feet from trailhead to summit.

The hike starts at the Ferncroft Road Parking Area which was very picturesque. The foliage and views while getting ready to head out were worth the drive up there. The trail starts off as a leisurely walk in the woods, and to be honest, it never stops being a leisurely walk in the woods. The AMC WM guide says that the trail up (the Pasture Path) has gentle grades to the top...this may be an understatement!

Half way up, we did come up on a milestone. It was Tilton Springs, which was a well type structure. It was essentially a pool of water with rock walls and a rusty plumbing pipe feeding into it.

The top of the Mount Katherine was ledge rock and had a great view to the northeast of Mount Chocorua. There were also some restricted views of Mount Whiteface and Mount Passaconaway. It was really a nice little hike for a day where you just don't feel like exerting much energy, but would rather just walk in the woods.

After hiking Mount Katherine, Jill and I headed out, did a bit of leaf peeping and checked out the Pumpkin People in Jackson, NH. Another great day in the Whites.

Below are some of my favorite photos of the day. I have a much more detailed account of this trip on my blog. Please check it out if you have a moment: http://livefreeandhikenh.blogspot.co...h-pumpkin.html

Barn at parking area with Mount Wonalancet behind

Hiking sign at the parking area

Wonalancet River

Jill on the trail up to Mount Katherine

Tilton Springs

What I believe is Mount Whiteface through a clearing near the summit, but still on the trail.

Nicely colored tree

Mount Chocorua, from the summit of Mount Katherine

Jill and I on the summit, with Mount Chocorua in the background

Leaf peeping after the hike, the little white church in Wonalancet

I know, I know, this is beyond the scope of "White Mountain Hikes" but had to include it...the Pumpkin People are awesome. I highly recommend you go see them while they are still up!

Karl

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KSearl For This Useful Post:

1HappyHiker (10-20-2010)

Thanks

Karl, this looks like great little hike! I agree, not every one has to be an eight miler to the top of a 4K mountain. Many of the shorter hikes are just as rewarding. I especially like the first photo you posted here. The old barn really makes it. And the Pumpkin People look great. Whoever made them did a nice job!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Default Nice!

It's a beautiful area and you did it justice with your photos! Thanks for sharing! Like Bob said, it doesn't have to be a grueling hike to make it worthwhile!

KDT

Thanks

Thumbs up

Karl,
    A nice area for a fine hike. Thanks for the preview of the Pumpkin People. We'll be seeing them next week when we arrive in Jackson. The subjects get better each year. Had to laugh at the photo of Snookie and Jersey Boy in the hot tub. Have you ever heard of the Scarecrow Contest in Sturbridge, Massachusetts? We always hit that on the way up to NH on our fall trip. A lot of creative creatures and themed displays for the past 20 years.

Donna

Thanks

What a great way to spend an autumn day! Picture perfect.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Great pictures Karl and I agree with the other forum members in that some of the easier hikes are just as enjoyable as getting another 4,000 footer under your belt.

Thanks

Ack!! The pumpkin people!! LOL I saw a few of those.

Looks like a great hike, lovely pics!

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I enjoy having a wide spectrum of hikes on my list and mixing them up. Usually a few easy ones and then a tough one. This one is definitely the easiest hike so far. Much easier than even a hike such as Mount Willard and does not provide as good of views. However, it's perfect for a day that you just want to enjoy a stroll in the woods. Mount Wonalancet behind the barn looks like another good hike that we may be trying soon.

Donna - Have fun in Jackson...it is by far my favorite town. I have never heard of the Scarecrow Contest in Sturbridge, but sounds great.

Thanks again everyone!
    Karl

Thanks

Thumbs up

Karl, you did indeed get some terrific autumn photos during your trek to Mt. Katherine, and your side trip to check out the Pumpkin People in Jackson, NH.
    As you suggested, I also checked out the account of your trip on your blog. Very nice!

My wife (Cheri) and I did a trek to Mt. Katherine a couple of years ago, and like you & Jill, we also thought it was a marvelous little mountain.
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////
    John

My Blogs:

http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/
    http://2small2bbig.blogspot.com/

My Facebook Page:
    http://www.facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Thanks

Hi John,

Glad you like the pictures and checked out my blog, appreciate it. It's nice to hear that you and your wife enjoyed Mt. Katherine as much as we did!

Karl