Thread: Winter hike equipment: pants

Thanks

Default Winter hike equipment: pants

So I am a pretty avid outdoorsman type of all seasons. Skiing, hiking, rock climbing...all the fun stuff.

This year I would like to head out in some of the harsher weather for day trips, although not necessarily Mt. Washington-style...but maybe some of the higher elevations that get quite windy. In the past I have just worn my skiing layers which consist of hot chilis (if below 20), my regular nylon hiking pants, and my waterproofed skiing pants.

Needless to say, scrambling over rocks with my nice ski pants is harsh on the equipment so I am seeking dedicated hiking gear.

What sort of layering have you folks used that is mainly wind/waterproof with regards to bottoms? I tend to run on the hot side. I also don't care about brand, but I do care about cost.

Thanks

I've always used skiing layers... as I've figured if they could hold upto a skier falling at 20-30mph they could hold up to a little rock scramble!

Usually a pair of silk under-layer, usual pair of exercise pants for mid layer & ski pants for outer...... used this set up on a bunch of climbs even upto 14,000' +

Of course if you are getting into a lot of technical rock / ice you might want to consider something that is a little more "snug" as the baggy ski pants do drag a lot while climbing vertical ice etc,
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smithtim For This Useful Post:

redthorne (10-21-2010)

Thanks

Default Pants for winter

I usually use a pair of "soft shell" pants - preferably a pair with side zips for ventilation. If its very cold I'll wear a pair of lightweight long underwear(synthetic of course) underneath. The modern soft shells are fairly abrasion resistant and water repellent and most are windproof. They also "breathe" much better than a goretex hardshell. I'll also have a pair of gortex pants with side zips in my pack which I can layer over these without removing my boots if it gets really nasty.
    Tim

Thanks

Wild Things mountain guide pant are my favorite for winter climbing in the NE as long as I am moving (not belaying or sitting around). Otherwise their belay bibs would be my next choice. Excellent mobility, materials, and built by climbers for climbers.....

....and they are made right down the street.

Thanks

I'm going over after my exams and just in the process of buying all my equipment, thanks for those suggestions.

Thanks

I love my north face mamantus bib pants they are light water proof and they zip at the butt incase you have some buisness that needs taking care of

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...matus-bib.html
    Last edited by freighttrain; 12-06-2010 at 01:02 PM.