Thread: Still Some Nice Autumn Color in the Baldface Region of Evans Notch (28-Oct-2010)

Thanks

Default Still Some Nice Autumn Color in the Baldface Region of Evans Notch (28-Oct-2010)

Some lingering autumn color and a warm sunny day with a hint of crispness in the air . . . now that is my idea of hiker heaven!
    It was that magical combination that Steve & I experienced when doing a leisurely duet of hikes in Evans Notch.

When we arrived at the trailhead, there was still some morning mist lingering about (as seen in the photo below).

HIKE #1
    Our first hike of the day involved a loop hike over Pine Hill and Lord Hill via the Conant Trail in a counterclockwise manner. As has been reported by others, there is a portion of the south segment of the Conant Trail that is flooded, presumably due to beaver activity. The flooding extended for quite a distance on either side of the trail corridor. Rather than go wading, we opted instead to bushwhack a wide arc around this area.

I became so focused on finding a workaround that I totally forgot to take a snapshot of the flooded section of trail. However, Steve did take a photo which is shown below.

The remainder of the loop was smooth sailing (no pun intended). There were large sections of trail where the lighting and the autumn foliage combined to emerge us in a bronze-colored world!

When we arrived at the ledges on Pine Hill, we were treated to a display of color that was completely different from the bronze-world we had experienced en route. There was an awesome combination of a misty undercast, plus bright autumn colors, and a brilliant blue sky. Some samples of this colorful view are shown below in the snapshots below (one is looking directly toward the Baldfaces , and the other is looking at peaks south of the Baldfaces).

After lingering for awhile to enjoy the views from the Pine Hill ledges, we continued onward toward Lord Hill. Along the way, we made a short side trip to take a look at the mineral mine. Nope! We didn't take time to do any mining!

Once we got to Lord Hill, the display of autumn color continued to make itself known. In the foreground and off to our left, Adams Mountain and Styles Mountain still had some nice color. On the horizon and to the right of our viewing area was the massive cliff face on Red Rock Mountain (I've never been there, but it's high on the list!).

Directly beneath our perch on the Lord Hill ledges, there was Horseshoe Pond. Its cobalt-blue color was a sharp contrast to the surrounding orange-red forest.

HIKE #2
    After completing the Conant Trail loop, there was still a bit of time left over to do another short hike. We opted to trek up the White Cairn Trail to the first viewpoints on Blueberry Mountain. As anyone knows who has hiked this trail, there is a very steep section on the final approach to the ledges. Well, if you haven't recently hiked this trail, then you're in for a pleasant surprise. A crew has recently completed the construction of a long stone staircase for that section of trail. It's a truly remarkable piece of work.

The photo below was taken from the top of this rock staircase looking downward toward the woods far below. However, this snapshot doesn't even come close to doing it justice. It's one of those things that you need to experience to appreciate.

By the time we arrived at the first viewpoints on Blueberry Mountain, the clouds had thickened and the sun was low in the sky. The snapshot below is the best I could do given the lighting conditions.

Autumn is by far my favorite season of year. As soon as it ends, I'm already looking forward to the next autumn.

1HappyHiker
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////
    John

My Blogs:

http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/
    http://2small2bbig.blogspot.com/

My Facebook Page:
    http://www.facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1HappyHiker For This Useful Post:

billysinc (11-03-2010), CHRIS (10-31-2010), KathyC (10-30-2010), Snow Miser (10-31-2010)

Thanks

All Beautiful as always..

Thanks

Great shots thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Very nice pics John! It's nice to see that there is still some color for everyone to enjoy.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Nice pic views John (1HappyHiker). I have not hiked here being this was the first year hiking and the large amount of options (choices) in the north. Looks like I will need to put this on my long list. thanks from dbcooperisalive

Thanks

Thanks again John for those beautiful photographs.Fall is our favorite time of the year too.

Thanks

I especially like the photo of Horseshoe Pond. The shapes and the colors are so interesting.

You know, I don't believe you when you say "No pun intended." That was just too perfect to be unintentional! But I don't want to get bogged down with this subject...

Thanks

John,

Your pictures are always so amazing, and this set is no exception. You capture color so well in your pictures...blue sky, autumn colors, blue water...I'm very jealous. My camera has horrible exposure handling compared to yours (I'm very sure the photographer behind the camera has something to do with it too!!!).

Your day of hiking looked like a blast. Aside from the phenomenal views (which you brought to us so well), the mineral mines sound like fun. Also, the steeper hikes are always challenging and give you a sense of accomplishment. And you're right, it's so hard to capture steepness as it is in real life, but you did a good job. I think it is really obvious how steep that trail is.

Looks like a great time...thanks for sharing. Always enjoy your posts and pictures.

Thanks,
    Karl

Thanks

Thumbs up

John,
    It is always a pleasure to see your reports as they take us to places we normally wouldn't venture to. Exceptional photos, once again, in particular Horsehoe Pond. We were also surprised at how much color was still around last week. Fall is our favorite season as others have mentioned, but the beauty of snowcapped mountains in winter is a close second.

Donna