Thread: Mount Jefferson rime

Thanks

Default Mount Jefferson rime

I recently climbed Mount Jefferson with a couple friends (10/24/10) and was amazed by all the rime ice formations. I didn't completely understand how the feathery looking features were formed, but the MWOBS web site had a good article describing the process. One of the aspects I found interesting is the counterintuitive orientation in which they're formed. Apparently they form in the direction the wind is blowing from. In other words, the fragile tips of the feathers point in the direction they were formed. The lighting was a little flat that day so I had to do a little post processing to tease out the intricate details of mother natures art work.
    IMGP3168mw.JPGIMGP3169mw.JPGIMGP3180mw.jpgIMGP3154mw.jpgIMGP3181mw.jpg

Thanks

You did a great job of capturing images of ice feathers, and also explaining the process by which they are formed!
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////
    John

My Blogs:

http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/
    http://2small2bbig.blogspot.com/

My Facebook Page:
    http://www.facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Thanks

Very nice pictures of the rime! They look like pieces of artwork.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

Glad you enjoyed the pics. I'd like to have shared the higher resolution versions of the images, but there was a file size limitation. In the high res version you can see some amazing details. For example, at the tip of each feather point is a small speck of dirt or a dust particle which I believe is responsible for some of the intricate details in each feather. It looks like they might block some of the wind/moisture errosion that's occurring as the rime is being formed. Kind of a simultaneous growth and erosion process. Just a guess.

Thanks

Great photos! The size limitation is only if you're using Obs space to post. If you have them posted somewhere else you can link to them and we can see the hi res versions. In the tool box at the top of the reply box you'll see one that says "Insert image" click it and add the url and the photo will show up in your message.

KDT

Thanks

Very nice photos of the ice feathers. I agree with KDT, you should post it on maybe photo bucket and give us a link of the high res photos. I just love natural formations like theses.

Thanks

Default Photobucket uploads

Hope this works. I'm not familiar with photobucket, so I'm not sure how to allow viewers access to the high res versions of the files. I uploaded the hi res, but the slide show compresses the files and reduces the resolution. Any suggestions. I have a Kodak Photo Gallery account, and I'm looking into this as well.

Glad you enjoyed the pics, and thanks for the feedback.

Thanks

Wow. Those are amazing pics. I have actually never seen something like those Ice feathers. I can't wait to lose weight so I can start to go Hiking. It's just amazing what I am missing out on. Thanks for those great pics.