Thread: Mount Jackson and Mount Webster 10/23/10

Thanks

Default Mount Jackson and Mount Webster 10/23/10

Originally, the first hike of our fall vacation to the White Mountains would be to Mount Jackson; since we hadn?t hike this mountain for several years; February 27, 2000 to be exact. However, we decided to extend the hike as a circuit to Mount Webster after reaching the top of Mount Jackson.

We chose Jackson in memory our late dog Sandy (aka: Lee Lee) who had passed away October 25, 2008; just as we arrived home from one of our fall vacations up North.

When Tom Ryan and Atticus were raising money for MSPCA Angell a couple of years ago, we sponsored the two to climb Mount Jackson for Sandy.

Starting at 9 am from the trailhead located on Route 302 across from Saco Lake, we anticipated winter like conditions, since we saw snow on the summits. We were freezing in the blustering wind and low temperatures getting on our gear. About an hour into the hike we started to see snow and ice on the trail.

We were protected from the wind most of the time, except when were near the summits.

The route we took was the Webster-Jackson trail to the summit of Mount Jackson over to Mount Webster via the Webster Cliff trail then down the Webster Branch and then back to the Webster-Jackson trail.

The views from the top were amazing.

We stopped at the Bugle Cliff overlook on the way down.

We saw a lot of hikers that were not prepared for the conditions we encountered during the day. Some were hiking in tennis shoes and most didn?t have traction devices for the icy trail. As a matter of fact an older gentleman took a nasty fall on his back at the rocky summit of Mount Webster . He luckily landed on his backpack; but, later down the trail I asked him how he was doing and he responded: ?Not too good?. Hopefully, he will be OK.

We totally enjoyed the challenges of the winter conditions that the mountain presented to us.

Later, we stopped at the pull off on Route 302, overlooking the Mount Washington Hotel and the Presidential Range.

After leaving the viewpoint we soon came upon Hiker Bob and Kaboose driving back to their campsite.

Nice meeting both of you.

Here?s our slide show: http://jimmylegs.smugmug.com/photos/...71452561_Ks4Pg

Mike and Donna

Thanks

Thanks for the great pictures Mike and Donna looks like you had a wonderful time.Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Thanks

Really nice TR and snowy photos Mike and Donna! Your photos really make we want to get back up there. Thanks for sharing.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Hey, great trip report. Enjoyed it very much. Jackson and Webster was a great choice and I'm sure Sandy, up above, enjoyed watching you hike it.

Your view toward the Presidentials from the summit of Jackson is awesome. Love the snow covered mountains...almost looks like a dusting (but you know it's not). The clouds are pretty dramatic too, with the blue peaking through, over to the right.

When Jill and I did Jackson and Webster, we went counterclockwise as well. I've read that it adds on about an hour due to the steeper conditions on the Webster branch.

It really amazes me how unprepared people can be up there. It happens all the time, yet I'm surprised every time I see it.

It looks like you guys had a really great time. Thanks for sharing.

Karl

Thanks

Default Great photos!

There are really some choice shots from this album that you should submit to the photo journal!

KDT

Thanks

Thanks everyone!

ANNA It was GREAT being back!

BOB As I am sure you do, we wish that we lived closer to so we could enjoy the trails and beauty of New Hampshire more often.

KARL Thanks for the thought on Sandy. We were fortunate to have the "snowy" summits of Jackson and Webster and breathtaking views on that day. It was a fine loop. A few falls ago, we enjoyed a hike to North and Middle Carter in 4 inches of fresh snow.

KEVIN We may just do that! Thanks for the suggestion.

Donna

Thanks

What a perfect day (for those who were prepared)! You've gotta love two-season single day hikes. Leave the tennis shoes home though. The pics are spectacular and I heartily agree with Kevin's suggestion.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

KEVIN and MARK Thanks so much. We took your advice and submitted a couple photos to the journal over the weekend. Hope it's not too late. Can't wait for official "winter hiking" to begin.

Donna