Thread: Iron Mountain; Short and Sweet 10/26/10

Thanks

Default Iron Mountain; Short and Sweet 10/26/10

After reading about this small mountain with spectacular views, we decided this was our destination for a late afternoon hike.

Beginning at 3 pm, we ascended the wet and rocky trail where a few sections were washed out. After nine tenths mile with an elevation gain of 800? we reached the viewless summit.

At the summit are the remnants of an old fire tower.

Along the trail were many areas of moss, fungi and lichens.

It was recommended to us by Steve Smith to be sure to take the extra six tenths mile past the summit to the south cliffs. We took his advice and were rewarded with spectacular views.

The combination of the sun setting and the clouds provided us with a dramatic light show.

Finishing up at 5:45 it was time for dinner at the Red Fox for the two for one pizza special. We went back to enjoy the meal by the fireplace in the Great Room, at The Lodge at Jackson Village.

Here is the slideshow: http://jimmylegs.smugmug.com/photos/...75261017_8dS8s

Mike and Donna

Thanks

Aha! I'd been waiting for this. Glad to see that you guys made it north as planned (and that Mike is recovering well). Looks like a nice little hike to get started and it was clearly good that you took Steve's recommendation (but I guess that's a given). Looking forward to more...
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Great pics Mike and Donna. Iron Mountain looks like a perfect afternoon hiking spot. Thanks for bringing us along!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Mike & Donna,

This is one of my favorite hikes. I think it is mostly because it was one of my first. The South Cliff is a great spot to sit and relax. It is usually pretty secluded too, not much traffic. I feel like that mountain has so much history to it, but is very seldom traveled. It used to be a ski resort and a mining mountain.

I'm glad you enjoyed the hike. The trailhead itself is fantastic on a clear day. Did you head down to the iron mines? We did, and it was a tough trail to follow since it was not well maintained or packed down. There was really much to see down there either...some mine shafts filled with water, some piles of ore, etc.

Again, love this mountain. Your pictures are great. Thanks for sharing.

Karl

Thanks

Nice photos and trip report for a very nice destination!

Just as an FYI, a couple of months ago, I found a nice view of Mt. Washington on the far western end of the South Cliffs viewpoint. To reach the far western end, it's about a 0.2 mile trek from the point where the Iron Mountain Trail dumps you out onto the South Cliffs. There are traces of a very faint path that leads over to this area. However, you mostly just need to follow your nose since the faint path disappears when crossing large patches of bare rock.

Below is a snapshot of the view I'm talking about. It's not a "knock your socks off" view, but a respectable view nonetheless.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////
    John

My Blogs:

http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/
    http://2small2bbig.blogspot.com/

My Facebook Page:
    http://www.facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Thanks

MARK Ah! I figured you were waiting till we posted a couple of reports to respond. Michael didn't have too much difficulty, negotiating the trails, considering he only had one lens in his glasses and his depth perception was a little off.
    Don't know if you've had a chance to read the other posts; but we had one terrific week. Even took a side trip to Coffin Pond. I wonder why it's called Coffin Pond? Here are a few photos:

Mike and Donna

Thanks

BOB: Thanks! This is a hike you need to add to your "to do" list.

KARL: Glad you enjoyed it. We actually made it a point to hike Iron Mountain since it is a favorite of Tom & Atticus. Since it was late in the day we didn't attempt going to the mines but it was most satisfying reaching the cliffs.

JOHN: Perhaps if this view is advertised more, a well beaten path will develop and eventually become an official destination. Thanks for posting the picture.

Also, does anyone know who maintains this trail.
    Thanks again!

Donna and Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Legs and Little d View Post
    MARK Ah! I figured you were waiting till we posted a couple of reports to respond. Michael didn't have too much difficulty, negotiating the trails, considering he only had one lens in his glasses and his depth perception was a little off.
    Don't know if you've had a chance to read the other posts; but we had one terrific week. Even took a side trip to Coffin Pond. I wonder why it's called Coffin Pond?

Mike and Donna
    Actually I wasn't waiting - for some reason this was the first TR that I'd seen. The link that I use to show current posts on the forums has been acting funny lately and I sensed that I'd been missing some posts since it seemed way too quiet. That coupled with being busy and not getting here as often as usual to check things out and I missed a lot. Looks like it was a wonderful week - so glad it worked out for you. Love the shots of Coffin Pond. Such a beautiful little "unknown" spot. I'm curious about the name as well. A little research is in order...

We're planning to get back up north several times this winter. Perhaps our trips in Feb/Mar will coincide for a change instead of being near misses like the last couple. We'd really like to get a chance to hike with you guys.
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Mark,
    It does seem like there is never enough time to do what we want. Computer glitches? When something goes wrong with the computer, that ruins my day to no end.
    We'll see if we can come up with anything on Coffin Pond. Curious now.
    That would be great if we could all get together for a hike this winter. We'll see what develops as February gets closer.

Donna